Pressure pot question

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I have never used one. Has any here have experience with one ? If so, what was you experience and what would it be good for ?

Jclrk

Jclrk
Corporate Member
Contact Tim at wood stabilizing support 8503722172 he can answer all your questions on this super nice guy. I'm pretty sure it removes air bubbles when using resins casting for turning blanks

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: Oka

gmakra

New User
George
Pressure pot is used as a paint storage/feeding tank for conventional spray guns for larger paint jobs. This was done to eliminate having a quart of paint hanging off your arm and less time fill the cup.

Since the old days there are different spray systems to control over spray such as HVLP, air assist airless and airless spray.

Now days the pots have been repurposed for all kinds of things.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
For impregnating wood with Cactus Juice, I converted an old Al pressure cooker/canner into a vacuum chamber. Use the same pump that I use for vacuum chucking.

I made a 1/2" the polycarbonate lid for the cooker. The 1/2" the lid deflects noticeably with 25-26" of vacuum. Due to crazing, I'll step up to 3/4" for the next one and maybe reinforce it.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I used a pressure pot quite a bit in my younger years. Basically, it forces the paint up to the spray gun with positive pressure, so less air is needed (eliminates the need for siphon pressure). It can also allow you to spray heavier/thicker coatings through a conventional gun. I have a 5 gal pressure pot, but most times I just put a one gallon can inside under the feed tube, which eliminates a lot of clean up, as well keeps the depth of paint inside the container higher, so less is lost to waste. They also make a 2 qt pot that you can either set near your work, or hang off your belt. This would be my choice for using on cabinets and furniture items, as the hoses are smaller diameter, and more flexible.

One main advantage to a pressure pot is that you only have a fluid hose and air hose attached to the spray gun, not a fluid cannister. This makes it much easier to maneuver in tight spaces, as well as you can spray with the gun in any position (i.e on its side, upside down, etc), without the risk of getting air instead of paint.

The key to good performance is to get the fluid pressure right, feeding enough paint to the gun to allow full open spray, but not enough that it pushes the paint out faster than it can be atomized into a spray pattern. Takes a little practice on adjustment, but isn't hard to do.

Although it does enable you to spray higher viscosity coatings, there are limitations. I never was able to get a really good spray patterrn with household latex, even using flotrol, etc. For this, an airless is definitely a better choice.

One thing you will need to get used to. As soon as you pull the trigger, fluid starts coming out the fluid tip. You cannot ease into the spray pattern to jsut get a light mist, because you will get a straight stream of fluid before the atomization air kicks in. To light mist, etc, you need to close the fluid valve some and stay with a full trigger spray. Again, its a little different technique, but not hard to learn. Best to practice a bit on a big sheet of cardboard, etc, before going to you actual project.

Hope this helps.

• Thanks

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS