Preferred means of sheet/ cut off storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
So I just came upon a deal for 14 sheets of 3/4" birch ply.....cheap. It was a great deal, so I jumped on it...Now I have 14 sheets of plywood laying on my garage floor. :slap:

- shop project priority shuffle -

So.....what are your favorite methods of sheet good storage?

I'm tight on space, and my garage door track is 7' high, and 2'-6" off of the wall on either side, so I'd prefer to store it lengthwise.

Originally I was thinking of making a dual sided mobile sheetgood cart w/ an A-frame in the center for dim. lumber cutoffs. One side would be used for full sheets, one for partial sheets. The only issue I can think of for that approach is, "would I ever actually move the cart?" My garage is 22'x23', (w/ tools in it) so the idea of manuvering an 8' long x 3'(ish) cart isn't all that realistic...Unless I park the cart against "my half" of the garage door. I suppose having the mobility option and not needing it, would be a lot better than needing to move 1000# of sheet goods and not readily being able to....

Stationary storage would take up a healty chunk of wall space, and not really account for my growing collection of cutoffs/ partial sheets, but I can always park mobile tools in front, (bandsaw, DC, etc.) and move them out of the way when I need to grab a sheet.

So basicaly, I'm in brainstorming mode. I'd love to hear about your plans, ideas, lessons learned, component opinions, etc.

Thanks!

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
Re: Preffered means of sheet/ cut off storage

Yikes. Would a mod please correct my spelling in the title? (Preferred). Thanks.

wronghand

New User
Chris
Here is something I had considered building. I may even get around to it one day.

FH03FEB_SSTWOR_08.jpg

http://www.familyhandyman.com/DIY-P...workshop-organization-tips/Step-By-Step#step4

Last edited:

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
I store my sheet goods vertically. Presently it is filled with a collection of 4'x4' and 2'x4' cut sheets, but can store a total of up to 20+ 3/4" 4'x8' (including oversized) sheets vertically. (Note: the fluourescent light is an impact resistant security-type light with polycarbonate cover).

091130_WoodBin_01.JPG

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
I don't think a 3' base for an A frame is enough for 14 sheets of ply. They wont lay tight and flat to each other like you are expecting them too unless maybe you have a rough base so they dont slide.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I store them vertically, but on the long edge. My rack is hinged to the wall so it is out of the way most of the time - see the second set of pictures here. Mine would not hold 14 sheets, but the design could certainly be modified to do so.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Keith, this isn't the best picture, but you can see my sheet goods storage on the right side. It's 24" wide x 48" deep x 100" high. Something like this would fit in your 2'6" space between the wall and garage door rail.

HTH

Bill

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Heath,

Here's mine. I made the PW section about 64" high to accommodate 60X60 Baltic Birch sheets. I used a piece of 1/4" melamine board on the floor to make it easier to slide sheets in and out. You are welcome to stop by and check out the details.

bobby g

bwat

New User
Bill
Bobby, I like the round bars to facilitate better sliding, great idea.:icon_thum Is that conduit or steel pipe?

Glennbear

Glenn
My shop is similar in size to yours and wall space is limited. A couple years ago I built a rolling rack for sheet goods which usually resides in front of my lumber rack wall. I move it aside when I need access to the lumber rack. Originally it was going to be for sheet goods and bar clamps but I have to make some modifications since my clamp collection has grown. :gar-La; I think you are wise to make it mobile since it does give you some flexibility in floor space usage. :wsmile:
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=14702

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
Thanks for the feedback guys!

My take on sheet goods in the past is that, due to my space constraints, I let the Hardwood Store of NC store my plywood until I need it. :wink_smil The deal I got was just too good to say no to, (seriously, 14 sheets of cabinet grade 3/4 birch for less than $100).

That said, I do not plan to store 14 sheets for an extended period of time. I figure a few sheets to make a rack, several more to make an upgraded outfeed table, and several more for an upgraded miter station/ cart. I need to store maybe 12 sheets now, but I dont plan on keeping more than a sheet or two on hand in the future.

All of that said, here's what I'm thinking......(critiques welcome)

My dimensional lumber rack consists of 2 sets of the triton rack, (4 total stiles spaced 32" apart.), with 5'-6" or so of clearance underneath.

I WAS planning on building a line of cabinets under the rack to use as a miter station. Now I'm thinking of building a stationary sheet good rack under my lumber rack, and building the WWJ "Ultimate miter saw station" ala Wayne (Canuk), to park in front. The miter station is mobile, and could be wheeled away when I need to access the rack.

For the plywood rack, I'm thinking of vertical runners approx 2' on center, leaned back at whatever angle is required to clear the mudsill at the base of the wall. For the base, I am thinking of "notched" runners, (taller at the front, shorter at the intersection w/ the verticals), so that that angle between the vertical and horizontal remains 90. I would then glue & screw a full sheet of hardboard to the back and bottom. By keeping the sheets fully supported like this, I'm hoping to eliminate any potential bowing.

I really like the idea of a mobile rack, but I would be concerned about a narrow rack tipping over when adding/ sorting sheets, and I just dont have the space for anything much wider than 3' or so.

Thanks again guys, lots of great ideas here.

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
Thanks Rob, I'm sure I can come up with a good way to cover the "rent" :eek:ccasion1

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
So.....what are your favorite methods of sheet good storage?
I suggest you wait another week or so and ask MarkE. He's got 1,000 sheets in his garage right now :rotflm: :rotflm: :rotflm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS