Preferences between barrel-handle and D-handle jigsaws?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fergy

New User
Fergy
I've always preferred barrel-handle jigsaws over D-handles, but I thought I'd see what others preferred. The advantage of the D-handle is being able to control speed via the trigger, but I always feel like my hand is too far from the body of the tool to have great control. Barrel handles usually allow me to use two hands easier as well.

I'm about to order a new one, but am just double-checking before I make the purchase.

JWBWW

New User
John
For what it's worth... I've always been a Bosch "D" handled user and have never felt an absence of control. Having the variable speed at my finger's tip is invaluable to me and it never occurred to me that there may be "a better way." I routinely cope crown molding freehand using my jigsaw which may be the most detailed/controlled workout this tool ever gets. After four hand surgeries over the last twelve years I am something of a fanatic on ergonomics of hand tools and the barrel "handle" challenges far too many muscle and tendon groups due to the larger circumference. I also found that smaller handled drills and impact drivers helped considerably in the battle over tendonitis and carpal tunnel.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I bought the D handle because it fit me better. The barrel was too fat. I didn't think I would have very much control.

Berta

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Last year I bought a new D-handle jigsaw from Woodcraft, primarily because the D-handle is what I am use to and thus I felt more comfortable with it. While I was looking at both types, the gentleman who was helping me remarked that the barrel type was more popular in Europe and that it is often used to cut from "under" the board rather than on top. While I have no idea if this information was accurate or not, I thought it was interesting.

Donn

Skymaster

New User
Jack
cutting from under the board give you a much better finish cut if you have the board face up :}:}, that said "D" handle Bosch here also

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I think this is mostly personal preference - so go with whichever you like best. I had a top-handle model originally. When I upgraded to a Bosch, I decided to try the barrel grip - I like it a lot better. With my hand closer to the board, instead of up high, I feel like I have more precise control.

fergy

New User
Fergy
I've only used the Bosch models over the years. Does anyone have experience with the Festool models?

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Fergy, I purchase a Festool D-handle model last year. I have no complaints about the cut, it is excellent, but it is hard to see your lines. Consequently, I typically stay slightly further away from my mark than I normally would and then sand up to the line.

BobN

New User
Bob
I have both, the Bosch D-handle and a Bosch barrel grip. When I am sawing something that is delicate and I want good control I use the barrel grip saw. When I just want to saw something fast and it doesn't have to be very precise I used the D-handle.

Bob

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
I don't have the high-end model jigsaw. I have a Craftsman that I got maybe 25 years ago. It won't die, so I keep using it. It has a d-handle and works just fine for roughing a sheet of plywood down. If it ever gives up the ghost, I would look closely at the barrel grip saws.

Roy G

kommon_sense

New User
Tavaris
I'm happy with my bosch barrel grip. Feels like I have better control since my hand is closer to the workpiece. I'm also 6'1" with decent sized hands, so the barrel grip fits my hands well.

fergy

New User
Fergy
Glad to see I was pretty much inline with everyone else's views on barrel-handles being easier to control, with the few exceptions above. I just didn't know if it was only me who felt that way.

I know the Bosch units are the preferred, top-of-the-line for just about everyone I talk with in production shop settings. My only lean toward the Festool model is because I've already got a few of their products, including the dust collector, and everything just stacks up so nicely. What I really need to do is handle both units side by side, and see which fits my hands the best, I guess. It's like buying shoes or a car...you have to go with what fits your body best in the end.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I've got a 10-12 y/o Craftsman, that the mags said was made by Bosch at the time. It has a detachable D handle, but I tend to take it off and use the barrel.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I am a Bosch barrel guy. I have had lesser D handles (and still have one in case you want to borrow a jigsaw :) ) and my fingers get achy because I grip too tight. I know I don't have to, but I do. So I prefer the barrel.

jhreed

New User
james
I have the barrel grip Bosch and love it. The top handle type seemed to put my wrist at an angle and tired quickly.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Hmmmmmmmmm a super dooper Festool orrrrrrrrrrr a super dooper Bosch,coffee,bagel,blades,case of your fav beverage,steak dinner and CHANGE! LOL

manfre

New User
Manfre
I'm in the market for a jigsaw and there seems to be a very strong consensus that Bosch makes a good jigsaw. Which models do you have?

M

McRabbet

I have the Bosch 1591EVS (D-Handle model) that I love. The 1591 is the barrel handle model -- I chose the D-handle because I have short fingers, but I have never noted any fatigue as long as I do my cutting with the work at the correct height (like on a sawhorse versus a high bench).

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I have had the Bosch 1591EVSK barrel handle saw for a couple of years now.

I find very easy to control due to its low center of gravity and low vibration level. It powers through 1" oak in a heartbeat with the Bosch Cleancut Series blades. Blade changes are extremely easy. Press a button and the old blade falls out. Then snap a new blade back in -- with no tools necessary.

The barrel of the saw is pretty chunky, so if you have small hands, you may find it a little unwieldy. A couple of things I had a little trouble getting used to is the power trigger located on the side of the barrel is a little bit of a far reach for me and the variable speed control is in the form of a dial on the back of the barrel. No trigger.

A good solid jigsaw, for the money though!:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

Wayne

Wayne

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I have several of the older 1587's. I like the handle grip, instead of barrel grip, If these should ever quit (in my lifetime,) I would replace them with another Bosch jig saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS