Pre-Novice From Charlotte

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRufus

New User
Jason
I am brand new to the forum and I am interested in woodworking, but have zero experience. What suggestions would you guys offer for someone to get started?

I know that Woodcraft in Matthews offers intro classes, but are their others that would be recommended? Trying to understand how to learn some fundamentals before I start investing in equipment.

Any suggestions and advice are greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JRufus

New User
Jason
That is part of the challenge. While I don't see me wanting to turn wood and create bowls, I may find that I enjoy the process if I tried it. Absent any hands on experience, I would definitely be interested in making chests and tables.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
Welcome Jason. Another newbie from the Charlotte area! I work in Matthews across from the Siskey YMCA, if you're familiar with it.

I know when I was getting started I watched a TON of youtube videos. This site has a pretty good list of woodworkers on YouTube sorted by number of subscribers: http://www.tablesawcentral.com/the-complete-list-of-woodworking-youtubers/ Some of the ones I would highlight on that list are Steve Ramsey ("Woodworking for Mere Mortals"), Matthias Wandel, Jay Bates, The Wood Whisperer, and John Heisz.

Steve Ramsey is a great place to start. He gears his channel to making woodworking accessible, especially if you don't have a lot of tools. Once you learn a bit more and expand your tools, you'll get a lot out of the other channels. I follow most of the people in the top 30 of that list. If you have a youtube account, subscribe so you'll get notified of new videos. A lot of the more popular channels release a video every week, and you can view all their previous videos.

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
Jason,

Welcome to NCWW. We love (family-friendly) pictures.

I am not sure that one person will live long enough to master all of the different aspects of woodworking. I would suggest narrowing your focus to one or two types of woodworking projects. Once you have a focus, then learn as much as you can. The internet is a good place to start. NCWW is also a good place to ask questions. Local woodworking clubs are good places to learn. After you have done your homework, then you will know what kind of tools you will need. Some say to start with a tablesaw. Others have said that a band saw should be your first major tool. We love to give advice on tool purchases. Good luck on your journey.

Steve

JohnW

New User
John
Jason,

I think James has given you some good advice. Lots of info available on the web.

Also, to both of you...I have a small shop in Charlotte near Matthews. Fairly typical of a small hobbyist shop. If you would like to come visit and just talk about anything woodworking, drop me a PM and we can meet up. Not retired yet but close to it so it will probably need to be an evening or weekend.

Most folks get started in woodworking by making things for, or fixing things around the house. You buy what tools you need for that task and then find another task that requires another tool. Before you know it, you have become a tool junkie like the rest of us.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Jason, I agree that James has a good idea. Almost any sort of woodworking has a video on Youtube.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Welcome to the nicest, friendliest site on the internet Jason. One area of woodworking is scroll sawing. Many of us here have scroll saws in our shops, and employ their use for many projects. One of the strong points in scroll sawing is, you can start with just a saw, and buy Baltic birch plywood to make a wide variety of items, from patterns that are either free, or for sale on the internet. Turning wood, you can do a lot with just a lath, a basic set of turning tools, and a small amount of supplies. My shop is well equipped with machinery, power and hand tools, and supplies and hardware to make almost anything. It's taken me many years to reach that point. At one time I had just a few power and hand tools, and cheap wood working machines, but even then, I was able to build a complete dining room set with trestle table, benches, sideboard, and china closet, all in Early American design. It was beautiful. This is a great place to ask questions, learn, and find help with your ideas and projects. And Jason, we love pictures! Happy sawdusting! :icon_thum

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
welcome to the best sawdust pile on the wb Jason. Look forward to meeting you

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member

Jason,

Friendly, knowledgeable, helpful . . . I could go on, but you get the idea. This is a great site to hang out at.

-Barry

Last edited:

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
Welcome to our little spot on the web Jason, glad to have you with us. There have been some good suggestions and one to add is check out the continuing education curriculum of the community colleges in your area. Some of them do offer classes that last for 5 or 6 weeks.

Please do not be shy, feel free to join in a conversation and ask any question.

We like pictures and here are 2 links that will help show how to upload and post them.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/c...e-to-your-post

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/c...t-on-this-site

Colin Helms

Colin
User
Welcome to the Forum Jason, you can drop by my little shop and see how my tools work. This way you will have a hands on experience and ask me whatever questions you might have. You can contact me by PM.

Forgot to tell you I live in S. Charlotte off of Rea Road, a couple of stop lights past I-485.

Colin Helms

Last edited:

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
welcome. i think ncww'r is a great place to hang out and learn.

i also 2nd the suggestion to check out Charlotte Woodworkers Association (CWA).

i've been a member for 12ish years. Great folks and they have club shop where you can get hands on w/o investing a pile of money in tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS