Pre-Gloat!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Well, I got the PM from Tom (Toolferone) today and drove to Raleigh to pick up my new 20 inch Shop Fox M1039 drill press. :eusa_danc

LOML and I managed to wrestle the box into the shop (shipping weight is 330 lbs) and I assembled the column to the base and installed the table support but held off when I got to the headstock assembly. The headstock assy is really heavy and I need to clear some space for the drillpress before it becomes too cumbersome to move easily. Guess I know what I'll be doing tomorrow after work. Sounds like a good reason to leave work early!! :lol: :lol:

Pics to come tomorrow night!!

Chuck

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Well here's a Pre-Suck.
I look forward to seeing it all assembled and hearing your thoughts on it.
Dave:)

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Congrats on the tool score. make sure there's some sawdust on, or at least neat, the DP in whatever photo you post.:):)

Ray

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Pics and First Impressions

I got the drillpress put together tonight. The head assy was very heavy but LOML and I managed to stand it up on the post. I cleaned and inserted the chuck, arbor, attached the table, handles, and cleaned up, waxed the table. I still need to clean up a few other areas but it is functional now.

General comments:

GOOD Things.
1. This is a heavy, large drill press.

2. I was surprised to see that the table is VERY flat. Could not find any gaps under my "straight edge" across the table. The table outer edge is a few thousandths below the table surface, which is a good thing. The finished surface of the table is quite smooth. I'm embarrased to admit it cleaned up much nicer than my Unisaw and MM16 tables.

3. The table is large, 16 3/4 x 18 3/4 inches.

4. Measured runout. I don't know the best way but I simply chucked a 1/2 inch bit, set up the dial indicator on the top of the bit, and hand turned the bit. With the quill at the top, runout of about .005 inch. Fully extended, runout of .007 inch. I also measure runout on the chuck surface at full runout and it measured .005 inches. I am actually quite pleased with these results.

5. There is very LITTLE play in the quill even at full extension...maybe a few thousandths. Much less than what I had seen on floor displays at Sears and the BORG. I was quite surprised.

6. The 1.5 HP motor runs smooth with very little vibration.

7. I drilled a 1/2 inch hole in some scrap oak. The hole was clean and sized to the drill. The measured runout was not apparent in the finished hole.

8. NONE of the parts were heavily coated with cosmoline. Clean up was easy and quick.

Minor Annoyances.
1. The threads on one of the downfeed handles was stripped where the knob attaches. They supplied the wrong knob on this handle. Looks like someone at the factory tried to cover a boo-boo. I will use it without the knob until I get one from Shop Fox.

2. The depth stop bracket is a little flimsy. If it becomes a problem it will be simple to replace with a beefed up bracket.

3. Speed adjustment involves changing sheave ratios on two belts. I knew this going in and frankly I don't change speeds a lot. I can live with it.

Admittedly I haven't put the drill through the paces yet but my first impression is good. I like it a lot!! :)

One question. How do I protect the post? I didn't want to wax it because I thought it might affect locking the table. Is wax okay?

Pics below.

Chuck

Attachments

• Full View small.JPG
    Full View small.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 154
  • Sawdust small.JPG
    Sawdust small.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 149
  • Headstock small.JPG
    Headstock small.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 150
  • full extension spindle.JPG
    full extension spindle.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 144
  • Table Small.JPG
    Table Small.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 156

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Re: Pics and First Impressions

Are you talking about the column post? I don't think I ever did anything to mine in the past. Hadn't thought about it personally. Maybe dry lube?

PS - YOU SUCK! Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Monty

New User
Monty

Thanks for the comments - good to know there weren't any serious problems. How much runout should be acceptable for a drill press? Can the runout be "tuned" on a drill press - if so, how?

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Hey Chuck, nice score and a big u suck to boot.

At to Monty's question on runnout, I would think that .005 is negligible in woodworking but if you were making metal components it might make a difference. If I recall, my delta VS had about .0015 as measured with a metal shank chucked up and a dial indicator resting on it while I turned the chuck. I really wouldn't be that concerned with that amount of r/o. I am sure there are units costing twice to three times what you paid that have that much or more. Just my .02

Again, ya suck and btw, I sprayed my column with boeshield and so far, no rust.

Mike

cpowell

New User
Chuck

Thanks for the comments - good to know there weren't any serious problems. How much runout should be acceptable for a drill press? Can the runout be "tuned" on a drill press - if so, how?

Monty, Thanks for prompting me to action. Found this link http://www.owwm.com/files/PDF/FAQ/drill_press_tune-up.pdf

The writer says runout should be less than .002 inch. I'm gonna tune it tomorrow. Looked back at my notes (they were out in the shop when I added the pics and wrote my impressions)...runout on chuck with quill fully extended was actually .003 inch. I'm close.

Chuck

dozer

Mike

Nice score Chuck. Looks to big for your shop I will be glad to store it at my shop for you :rolf:

T

toolferone

This might be old news, but when you turn the chuck to check runout you should be doing with the pully up at the top of the drill press. Take the belt off and spin it slowly by hand. This way you are not putting any pressure on the chuck. Everyone might now this but thought I would mention it anyway.

It's a nice looking drill press!

cpowell

New User
Chuck
This might be old news, but when you turn the chuck to check runout you should be doing with the pully up at the top of the drill press. Take the belt off and spin it slowly by hand. This way you are not putting any pressure on the chuck. Everyone might now this but thought I would mention it anyway.

It's a nice looking drill press!

Tom,

I had the same thought this morning on the way into work. My hand is likely affecting the measurement. Looking at the tip of the bit spinning at 1600 rpm I can't see any wobble at all. I'll remove the belt and turn the pulley by hand when I get home and I bet I'll see an improvement. :slap:

Thanks,

Chuck

cpowell

New User
Chuck
I checked runout again with pulley tension off. Results as follows:

Outer Spindle .004 inch

spindle sleeve .004 inch

arbor .003 - .0035 inch (how can this be less than spindle?)...I made this measurement several times)

outside of chuck .004 - .005 inch (dial indicator reads thousandths)

bit .008 inch, measured 1/2 inch below chuck. Sound like the chuck has issues.

I don't know that I can do anything much if the spindle runout is .004 inch but I will call Shop Fox Monday and ask for assistance.

Although this is a value for money DP and I'm working in wood I'd like to minimize runout.

I also checked to see the table was 90 degrees to the bit. The bit is 90 degrees when measured along the sides of the bit. When measured with a square from the back of the bit, the bit is at 89.6 degrees to the table (.03 inch gap over 4 inches length), and 90.4 degrees from the front of the table. I don't see an adjustment for this. Is this acceptable?

Thanks,

Chuck

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
Nice score Chuck:icon_thum :tool: Looking forward to see how it works out for as I see a new drill press in my future :eusa_danc

Monty

New User
Monty
hmmm... interesting findings. I'm sure it's all "good enough" but I would be interested in what shop fox has to say about your findings. You should be able to get it "right". I have no idea about the table, but I would try to get that right too - is there a place to add shims under the table?

cpowell

New User
Chuck
I talked with a guy at Shop Fox tech suport today and he told me that the runout I've measured is typical for this DP and within spec.
I've managed to get the chuck runout down to .003, and bit runout to .005 - .006. Although it bugs the engineer in me, I think I can live with it just fine for woodworking.

The solution to true up the table to 90 degrees will involve filing at the point where the table's swivel base attaches to the DP post. I'll probably try this at some point after Steve assembles his new tablesaw!! :lol: :lol:

I've got a new tool and I'm going to focus on making sawdust for a while.

Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors