Status
Not open for further replies.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I just got notification from Joel at Tools for Working Wood. :3dblob3:

Shipped in this package:
1 of MS-MORT.5/16 English Mortise Chisels by Ray Iles - 5/16" were shipped​

Now I will be camping out on my front stoop looking for the FedEx truck.

Thanks to the POS (Power of Schwarz), the 5/16 chisels have been out of stock for the past 5 months.

Jim

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I went with the Schwarz. His blog and reviews suggested starting with either 1/4 or 5/16.
http://blogs.popularwoodworking.com/editorsblog/Endurance+Test+Ray+Iles+Mortising+Chisels.aspx

I also happen to have an old 1/2" pig sticker from ebay, so the 5/16 seemed to cover it.

I am a bit concerned with D2 steel, as over the past few years, carbon steel is proving to be much easier to maintain.....

But, on very rare occasions, its nice to get one of those dream tools. Well, ones I can afford :)

Jim

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Nice! I want one!

Holy smokes, a $70 chisel ... does it do the work for me? Why didn't you just get the set? Only [FONT=Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Set of all six sizes ($429.95)[/SIZE][/FONT]

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Mr. Lips de frog,
Great purchase. Another good option would be the Lie Nielson ones. I bought the Sorby for the Boggs Chair class and it need some major tuning up to work right. But Kelly had a set of the Lie Nielsons and I tried them out-man are they weighted nice. Even Brian liked em. You'll have to post how good it is-whatcha gonna make?

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Rumor has it, the wood surrenders. It sees the chisel comeing, waves a white flag and jumps right out of the moritse.

A whole set would just be more joy than I could have in my life. Too much joy and my head would explode. I saw it on tv one time.

Jim

Nice! I want one!

Holy smokes, a $70 chisel ... does it do the work for me? Why didn't you just get the set? Only [FONT=Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Set of all six sizes ($429.95)[/SIZE][/FONT]

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I just have pig sticker fever. Nothing against Lie Nieson or others. I did try them at Kelly's while I was out there, very nice.

Adam Cherubini also showed us "his" technique for mortising. He pares out the waste, as opposed to chopping. I tried it, and must say it was quite effective. Sadly, no where near as much fun as wailing on it with a mallet :)

I used the pig stickers at Roy Underhills. Also quite fine.

I'll be sure to follow up after I beat the pig out of the chisel. Someday I hope to make something.... For now, it'll just go in a place of honor on the shelf over my fireplace next to my little Clifton shoulder plane. The other new tool I own.

Jim

Mr. Lips de frog,
Great purchase. Another good option would be the Lie Nielson ones. I bought the Sorby for the Boggs Chair class and it need some major tuning up to work right. But Kelly had a set of the Lie Nielsons and I tried them out-man are they weighted nice. Even Brian liked em. You'll have to post how good it is-whatcha gonna make?

willarda

New User
Bill Anderson
Jim: those mortise chisels at Roy's could very well have been mine. I loaned him 5 of my "pigstickers"- some 5/16, but one 9/32 and one 3/8. I have since acquired 5 more 5/16" chisels (unhandled) which I handled with some quilted claro walnut. Eventually I hope to post a description of the process with pictures. Peter Ross, a local blacksmith, forged tang blanks which we heated red hot, then plunged the pre-drilled handle stock onto them to make the square holes. Sort of like holding a jet engine in your hands at takeoff since the wood is iinstantly vaporized!

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
The one I bought for $8 is a 3/8 and I have yet to handle it, maybe soon.

But, for the price I'll make do. :eusa_danc

M

McRabbet

Aren't good tools really great? Keep 'er sharp Jim and remember it is a vegan, too! Wail away, but no blood!

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Now its post gloat time!

What a heavy, lovely piece of wood and steel......

Oh happy day!

She's now out of the box, but I'll leave the waxed tip covered until Chopping Day.

Jim

PeteQuad

New User
Peter
Very nice! Banging away at those things at Roy's class was a really fun way to make a mortise. I've had my eye out for a deal since.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
You bringing that to the Picnic so you can stick some pigs. That's a fine pig-sticker if I've ever seen one. I could have used that today. Chopping mortises with a bench chisel doesn't work as well as a mortise chisel.

Dave:)

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I'm embarassed to say, it even smells new......

Most of my tools smell of decay, rot, rust or stuff science says "eeww" about.

How long till I write a poem?

Ode to The Chisel.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS