Pre-drill stock before turning?

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
I'm about to build a folding camp stool like this. The legs will be 1 1/4" at the top and taper continuously to 1", and a 5/16" bolt hole will go through each leg in the middle. Because of the taper, it would be much easier if I could drill the holes before turning the legs. Is this safe, or is the hole a potentially dangerous weak point?

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
i would turn first, then drill the holes. Place a 1/8" spacer under the thinner end to keep the hole straight when you drill.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I had to make handles for antique lopping shears. The blacksmith tapered the metal from 1/4 x 5/8 to a rat tail 14 inches long. I tried turning the handle then drilling a couple times and ruined the handles. Finally drilled the holes first and turned between centers, plugged the large end temporarily. That worked great and the handles turned out exactly like the 100 year old original.

So, I would recommend drilling the hole first then turn between centers.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Oh, should have looked at the link first, thought you were drilling end to end.

Still I would drill first then turn because a through hole on a round leg may leave tear out on the exit side.

Which one of Schwarz books has that stool? See how he did it.

Campaign Furniture, I didn’t buy that book.

Anybody? Buler?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Jeff, you should delete that since it is copyrighted material and clearly states that is should not be published in this way.

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
Chris Schwarz drills after turning the legs in that chapter, but the continuous taper that I want to do makes building a cradle to drill more difficult. Some tearout would be tolerable because the holes will be covered by a curved washer. Still. I'll try drilling first if nobody is jumping up and saying that it's dangerous. I'll just need to take it nice and easy in the region of the hole to prevent any catches.

Jeff, I'm using this three-way bolt from Tandy Leather. That Lee Valley one sure looks nice, but not 4x the price nice.

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
Jeff, you should delete that since it is copyrighted material and clearly states that is should not be published in this way.

I think it's OK... the link is to a file hosted on Chris Schwarz' own blog, so he's the one that actually published the material. Anyway, if this is a grey area, you can find a link to the chapter here, as a taster on the page to buy the book.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Chris Schwarz drills after turning the legs in that chapter, but the continuous taper that I want to do makes building a cradle to drill more difficult. Some tearout would be tolerable because the holes will be covered by a curved washer. Still. I'll try drilling first if nobody is jumping up and saying that it's dangerous. I'll just need to take it nice and easy in the region of the hole to prevent any catches.

Jeff, I'm using this three-way bolt from Tandy Leather. That Lee Valley one sure looks nice, but not 4x the price nice.
At the speeds youll be turning that, catches should never happen. If youre too concerned, maybe drill a small hole through first, like 1/8", turn your final shapes and then simply open up that hole with a hand drill to the finished diameter ( from both sides even to avoid tearout).

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS