Powermatic planer vs. Grizzly planer

Status
Not open for further replies.

AL Spicer

New User
Al
I would like to get some feedback on which machine people feel is the better choice excluding price. The Powermatic 209HH-1 20" Planer with the Byrd Helical Cutter or the Grizzly G1033X 20 with Spiral Cutter.

http://www.woodworkingshop.com/product/ds1791315/
https://www.grizzly.com/products/20-5-HP-Spiral-Cutterhead-Planer/G1033X

I’m leaning towards the Powermatic for two reasons: the 5 year warranty vs. Grizzly 1 year warranty; and that the Powermatic has 132 knifes vs. Grizzly with 96.
If you have experience with either machine and can provide any insight, I would be most appreciative.

Al

DWSmith

New User
David
From the outside they look like twin machines. Grizzly has a cutterhead which looks surprisingly like the Byrd although with a few less inserts, the switch location is similar, PM has different feed speeds, a different color and an extra $861.00 in cost. (Not including tax or freight in the comparison)

I have the 1033X in my shop and I am well satisfied with it after giving it a severe workout in the past few weeks. You are welcomed to come by to give it a test run.

jazzflute

Kevin
Corporate Member
Ditto on the 1033x; I've got one also.

It's hard to find anything bad to say about it. The finish left by the byrd-like head is amazing. I also have a 12" 9860X jointer with a segmented head—a MUCH more expensive machine BTW—and it does pretty well, but will sometimes leave small rough spots of tearout on really ornery wood. All I have to do is put it through the planer, and the tearout is gone. It is truly an excellent cutter head. Great dust collection, repeatable height accuracy; it doesn't move from where you set it by even a hundredth (or less!) and it can take a very big bite if you need it to. I have a wixey digital readout on mine. I had to fabricate a bracket for it, but it works very well and is dead accurate when calibrated properly.

Probably the only thing I can think of to criticize about it is that the table extensions are a bit difficult to level and to keep level, but that really doesn't matter much. You do get a very small amount of snipe, but I think you can say that about any planer.

I doubt that you'll find anyone who has both machines, and obviously I can't comment on the Powermatic. Chances are good that the castings are made in the same factory, or are at least made from the same molds. Obviously the internals may vary a little, but most of these Asian machines have very close bloodlines.

You're closer to David, but if you ever get out my way, a similar offer to use it and check it out stands with me as well.

K

batk30msu

New User
brent
Dont own either but these are going to be "lifetime" machines. I doubt the warranty would be needed on either. Grizzly parts are readily available and you are able to purchase a whole new motor for less than 400 from grizzly.

I dont see the PM machine being worth the extra but that's just my opinion.

jlimey

Jeff
Corporate Member
I don't have either planer, but I believe that the Grizzly does not have a shearing cut like a Bryd shelix head. I have seen one review where the Bryd type head did a cleaner job on very ornery wood than the helical segmented type head found in the Grizzly.

jazzflute

Kevin
Corporate Member
Regarding the head, that's what David and I were talking about. The head on this particular planer is not the 'standard' Grizzly head that has been tested/reviewed etc. I have one of those on my jointer. The one on the planer is better. A lot better. It is a shearing design. I don't know why they don't use those on all of their other products, but the one on the 1033x is a keeper, and looks remarkably like the authentic Byrd head.

K

DWSmith

New User
David
I have the "standard" Grizzly spiral head on the jointer in the shop. Although it isn't the Byrd shearing design, it still does a terrific job. On the 1033X the helical head is almost a twin for the Byrd head and produces a marvelous finish. That alone was enough to justify the purchase last year. And after running hundreds of bd ft through it, I am satisfied with spending the money.

jlimey

Jeff
Corporate Member
OK, I say 'Uncle" and stand corrected on the head design. :eek: I am trying to decide between putting a Byrd head in a Dewalt 735 that I got for under $300, or waiting until I can afford a 15" Grizzly with the Byrd head. A buddy of mine has that planer, and it seems to do a good job. I haven't seen him put Birdseye maple through it, but he doesn't pay much attention to grain direction and still gets a nice surface on tamer woods.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
735 not worth the cost of a byrd cutter head. way too light duty to make that investment to come "even" before the machine dies of other causes

jlimey

Jeff
Corporate Member
That is my concern - though I don't run a ton of lumber. But what I do plane tends to be highly figured and it wouldn't take long to make my life easier or to salvage lumber that might otherwise tear out.

minnehahas

New User
Gary
I bought an older g1033z over Christmas for $600. Thing had barely been used. I will be ordering the Byrd head in next few months plus a couple of new bearings for about $900. So hopefully for about $1500 I will have a good solution. The standard knive I am using now do a great job IMHO. the planer took a bit of work to adjust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS