Powermatic Planer Sharpening Grinder

Woodmolds

Tony
User
Not to be cheeky, but isn't that an oxymoron.
I looked for one for years.
Finally put in a Terminus head. Cheaper than a PM grinder.

LocoWoodWork

Steve
Corporate Member
Not to be cheeky, but isn't that an oxymoron.
I looked for one for years.
Finally put in a Terminus head. Cheaper than a PM grinder.

I assume the "reasonable price" is what you are concerned about being cheeky (haven't heard that term since I lived in Scotland for three years). Anyway, the grinders are out there but usually crazy prices once they end up on fleabay. Just hoping to find one.

Woodmolds

Tony
User
Funny you should mention eBay. I just did a search and found one listed complete for $750(18"). A 12" is also listed. Now that's reasonable.

LocoWoodWork

Steve
Corporate Member
Funny you should mention eBay. I just did a search and found one listed complete for $750(18"). A 12" is also listed. Now that's reasonable.
My PM 221 already has the grinder bar so I'm only looking for the motor, grinding wheel, stone/dresser. There's also a 16" PM planer listed for $500 dollars advertised with a "knife sharpener attachment". If it has the actual components I need I could buy that one keep the grinder and part the rest out.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Steve, have you gone over to the OWWM.org site and gotten onto their BOYD forum? That has worldwide exposure and maybe something would turn up.

Roy G

LocoWoodWork

Steve
Corporate Member
Steve, have you gone over to the OWWM.org site and gotten onto their BOYD forum? That has worldwide exposure and maybe something would turn up.

Roy G
Roy,
Yes, I've been watching them closely. I did go back and actually post a WTB after reading your post.
Steve

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
To be clear, this is the gadget you're looking for.
(Two different vintages)

Attachments

• 1 PM grinder - 1.jpg
    1 PM grinder - 1.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 263
  • 1 PM grinder - 2.jpg
    1 PM grinder - 2.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 195
  • 1 PM grinder - 3.jpg
    1 PM grinder - 3.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 194
  • 1 PM grinder - 4.jpg
    1 PM grinder - 4.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 200
  • 1 PM grinder - 5.jpg
    1 PM grinder - 5.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 204
  • 1 PM grinder - 6.jpg
    1 PM grinder - 6.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 223
  • 1 PM grinder - 7.jpg
    1 PM grinder - 7.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 190

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Wish you needed the bar and carriage. I've been tripping over one for years. I'd give it to you if you needed it as long as you loaded it. That thing gets heavier every year.

For a 3-knife 221, it will take me a little over an hour to change knives in a machine that's been set up correctly to begin with. It takes me all morning or afternoon to run a grinder on one.

LocoWoodWork

Steve
Corporate Member
Wish you needed the bar and carriage. I've been tripping over one for years. I'd give it to you if you needed it as long as you loaded it. That thing gets heavier every year.

For a 3-knife 221, it will take me a little over an hour to change knives in a machine that's been set up correctly to begin with. It takes me all morning or afternoon to run a grinder on one.
Interesting, that probably means it will take me a month to change the blades and 8 months with the grinder! :p

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Its really not all that bad to learn. There's some gadgetry you'll need to start, but ownership and familiarity with that gadgetry will give long term benefits. You'll only be new at it once.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS