Powermatic or Grizzly Wide Belt Sander

Status
Not open for further replies.

blazeman45

Steve
Senior User
Anyone own a Powermatic or Grizzly wide belt sander? I'm going to order one soon and cannot make up my mind!!! I want a 25" but physically do not have the space... Looking at the PM open end 16" vs the Grizzly 18". I have worried about it until my head hurts!!! Have reached the end of my rope on searches and reviews, need to put my eyes on one or at least talk to someone who has one! Thanks so much!!

Steve

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
How wide do you think you are actually going to need to use? I have an 18 / 36. I think I needed the extra width once.

blazeman45

Steve
Senior User
I consistently need 16" for my business with an occasional 24. Do you have a drum sander or wide belt?

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
In fairness, if my choices were between Powermatic and Grizzly there would not be much of decision to make provided they both fit my needs as Powermatic is the far better brand IMHO. While open ended may require some periodic adjustment every now and then to maintain alignment it also affords one the opportunity to occasionally process oversized pieces every now and then when needed, which can be handy.

I would almost certainly prefer open ended if *I* were opting for a wide belt/drum sander narrower than about 25" so that I could process pieces wider than 16" or 18" every once in awhile.

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
If i'm looking at the correct machines, the Powermatic is open ended and 16" Vs the Grizzly being 18" and closed end. If you need to sand 24 even occasionally it seems it would make the choice easy. You would never be able to sand 24" on the Grizzly and would always want more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS