Powermatic jointer

Rjgooden

Big Ron
User
Anybody have a powermatic jointer, or have any opinions on powermatic jointer? I am looking at the six inch with the helical head.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Steve makes a good point. I've had and have Powermatic jointers, both sixes and eights. I've worked on a few of the Asian-made jointers that have the Powermatic name on them. The paint job on the Asian machines is a whole lot better than any USA-made machine ever had.

Gunnage

New User
Greg
I just went through this buying a planer(not the same but similar) and from the research and looking I did, they ALL looked identical to me other than the paint color. Pretty confident they are all made in the same 3 factories, regardless of the brand. There may be a few differences like nicer bearings and things on the internals, but it seemed to me the extra money for powermatic/jet/etc. was effectively insurance you get in the form of a warranty. May be worth it if down time costs a lot of money, but not to me as a hobbyist.

Other than woodmaster, I couldn’t find one made in USA. In the end I went with Grizzly helical head, and have no complaints so far a few months in. I imagine you’ll be pretty happy no matter which one you buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
I don't own one, but used a nearly new Powermatic 8" USA made helical head and was quite impressed with it.

Charley

BKHam

Bradley
User
how does the 8 inch with straight knives compare to the 6 inch with helical? those extra two inches are so nice.

not totally pertinent but i have an old model 60A powermatic 8 inch jointer which i retrofitted with the byrd helical and she is a beauty!

JoeH

New User
JoeH
I was lucky enough to do both ( go 8" and helical). After having knives for 15 years, I love my helical.

That said, if I had to choose between 6" helical and 8" knives, I'd go with the 8". People have obviously been using knives for years with satisfactory results and the extra 2" is really handy if your work projects can take advantage of them.

Joe

BKHam

Bradley
User
I was lucky enough to do both ( go 8" and helical). After having knives for 15 years, I love my helical.

That said, if I had to choose between 6" helical and 8" knives, I'd go with the 8". People have obviously been using knives for years with satisfactory results and the extra 2" is really handy if your work projects can take advantage of them.

Joe
same for me. i'd get rid of my helical head before i'd go back to 6 inch.

wooduser

New User
Lecil
I have a Powermatic Model 54A jointer I purchased used a couple of years ago. The original owner purchased it new in 2006. I did upgrade it to a Shelix cutting head. I wouldn’t buy a new one without a helical head. The only problem I’ve had is the dust collection. I’ve been constantly working on that but it does the job I need. You can see the chips in the attached picture.
5E9A8306-A77E-482E-8CC4-26BA90B2AEEF.jpeg

If you are in Burlington I would be happy to show it to you.

Lecil Alexander

Rjgooden

Big Ron
User
thanks for the information everyone. I am leaning toward the 8 inch with knives, and maybe update to shelix after my wife gets over the initial outlay of cash.

wooduser

New User
Lecil
If this is purchasing a new jointer, I would recommend buying it with the head installed unless you are a decent mechanic also. For my 6” Model, the head was about $400.00.

Lecil

Rjgooden

Big Ron
User
I talked my wife into letting me get the grisly eight inch with the helical head just ordered it. I really am going to have to get after the honey do list now

bobsmodels

Bob
Senior User
My only input is I have had a Powermatic 6" jointer, purchased new around 1976. Other than sharpening the blades it has given me great service over the years. The only issue I have ever had is I wish I could have afforded the 8". It was a compromise, I purchased the 12" planer at the same time. The compromise was purchasing the blade sharpener attachment for the planer or an 8" joiner. The sharpener has been an excellent useful attachment over the years. My guess is over 90% of what I wanted to joint fit the 6". So in the long run the compromise was a good one.

Enjoy the jointer

Bob

bobsmodels

Bob
Senior User
Maybe I can as I have done it on the 6". If you have the rabbet slot and the blades aligned properly with edge of the rabbit so you can use it, then you run say a 8" wide board down the regular way. The next part is tricky because you have about 2" left. You flip the board so the fat edge is against the fence, hold the board on the unplanned surface and take a second cut. I have always moved the fence over say to 3" and it gave me a better sense of control. If you have nice sharp blades it does a fine job. I would certainly practice. You do not need a wide board to practice. Take a 4" move the fence over so you are leaving about 2" and make the cut, flip and cut again.

At least that is the way I have done, not sure why the 50% limit other than handling it. that says only a 9" board maybe Bruce can explain that for us.

Bob

PS you need to remove the blade gaurd

Hjanes

Harlan
User
I also joint boards wider than 6 in in my 6in jointer. I use the jointed surface as a reference to hand-plane that last inch or two, then the thickness planer can true everything up with a flip or two in the next step. Just don't have the floor space for anything larger than my PM54.

wooduser

New User
Lecil
Ron, I’m glad you are getting the jointer with the helical head installed and ready to go. Put some pictures on the site to show what your new toy can do.

Be safe,
Lecil

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Powermatic is now owned
geetech_logo3.png

Nav view search
Navigation

Search

About Geetech

Strategic Partenrship
partner

Strategic Win-Win Partnerships: ODM/OEM Service
Long Term Partnership
Geetech is proud to be long term partner of most world class premium brands of woodworking machinery, mostly ODM projects. We helped our partners developing new products from scratch and turned their exclusive product concepts into solid and profitable business, adding more value to their outstanding brands.
6 SIGMA Capabilities
Geetech is one of the few woodworking machinery manufacturers with complete 6 sigma capabilities. Our professional project teams backed up by experienced & innovative engineering resource working under such discipline is the very core strength of our OEM/ODM business success.
Strong Trust behind Business
Geetech is faithful and silent ally behind the success of world class premium brands. We know it has to be the way so we keep everything confidential for every partner. We work with every partner with integrity and commitment, their trust is always prior to business. We are committed to bring innovative features to the machinery, keep the information confidential, and dedicate to the success of our partners.
The Ongoing Legend

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS