Power tool- what is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Truefire

New User
Chris
Could anyone advise what this particular power tool is termed and what exactly is it used for? I have seen them occasionally throughout my life, here and there...can't really recall where exactly. Obviously I have never had a usage for them. I was looking for another type of tool tonight online and once again stumbled over this.

Thanks.

Go easy!

00Q0Q_giCty6JUkmC_600x450.jpg

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Yep. Mostly used to replace underlayment in kitchens and baths where it runs under cabinets. It will cut flush to the wall and is small enough to go under the cabinet into the kick, hence the name.

Truefire

New User
Chris
Cool- that is weird, my subconscious was wanting to tell me that's what it was. But it was foggy. One of those things, as soon as you both said it, I was thinking "I knew that". Your info just jarred the cabinet and the file fell into place.
:eusa_clap

Thanks gents!

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Now there's a tool I didn't know existed, but sure could have used on a rare occasion. It's so highly specialized I can see why I've not come across one before. The new slick little power saws I'm seeing in the BORG can't get under the toe kicks, but they can saw real close to the wall, about 3/4" or so. This little saw looks like it could saw even closer. :)

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
If your cutting through 3/4' flooring and your getting paid to do it I'm sure most guys would rather go to the dentist than cut that with a multi tool.Just saying.

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
Guess it depends on the scope of your project and time you need to get it into. I have thought about getting a multi-tool, but just haven't had the need for it yet.
If your cutting through 3/4' flooring and your getting paid to do it I'm sure most guys would rather go to the dentist than cut that with a multi tool.Just saying.

Bob Carreiro

New User
Bob
Of course there are limitations, Greg! Even so, with the right blade, 3/4" "anywood flooring" it is no challenge for the MT. In the case of the novice user, is more about technique keeping the cut straight & square and at proper deph. The tools' versatility far outweighs its limitation - emphasis on "far."

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Bob, Agreed, I have a Sonicrafter and for what it is ,it cannot be replaced. Cutting for new outlets, light switch boxes, plumbing updates and whatever renovation may come along. But for the original analogy it was not the first tool I thought of.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have a rigid battery drive multi tool and it was indispensable in taking apart the stove cabinet (carefully)...

But I had a dishwasher installed yesterday and he had a fein... much like Festool, I always thought, Geez, why spend the money - until you see what the tool can do! (quiet, larger variable speed range, just the two things I noticed)

Truefire

New User
Chris
Wow...did this thread take off in wander land or what?

Although, I can't speak of the multi-tool in regards to 'cutting toe kicks' I can certainly attest to the fact, not opinion, that it surely makes cutting electrical outlet boxes and lighting boxes much, much easier. I'm right in there with Greg on this one. Especially when it comes to cutting old work boxes into older, lap wall boards- the tongue and groove type.

The east-west motion is sooo much better than the perpendicular cutting action of a jig saw which wants to grab and create a 'shaking mess' of things. I'd rather have a knock off cheapo multi-tool in the bag anyday when doing that type work than a nice jig saw nearby. Now that being said, now that I understand what this particular tool is, I stand with Bob in that I'm certain it can make short order of that line of work. A cabinet man can cut and move onward while the multi-tool man is still lying prostrate attempting to orient his blade in the proper orientation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS