Power carving bits

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I am looking for source of 1/8" shaft (to fit my Dremel) power carving bits for a project I am attempting. I am not looking for top of the line since this might be a one and done but I also do not want ones that dull in 30 seconds. Any recommendations I can ask Santa to bring me?

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Scott, I have not sued them, but I saw them at at industrial show YEARS ago, well maybe it was last year - but it SEEMS like years ago!!!
Rockler sells them

But our very own Klingspor carries a line: https://www.woodworkingshop.com/search.aspx?q=Bud+Bur+1/8+Shank
I could only come up with those two in a quick search - might be worth a call, to determine brand and ask about longevity...

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I bought one off Amazon couple of years ago Think I paid 12 bucks for it mine is 1.5 inches but 5/16 OD 1/8 shaft looks like this but straight
Use it to enlarge holes
bit.JPG

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I bought one off Amazon couple of years ago Think I paid 12 bucks for it mine is 1.5 inches but 5/16 OD 1/8 shaft looks like this but straight
Use it to enlarge holesView attachment 198159
That right there looks scary! (especially when you say you use it to "enlarge holes" (shivering) o_O

Reactions: Oka

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
Bear Woods have some that look interesting. I know they are for their power carver but I do think they will fit the dremel

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Definitely wearing leather gloves work. On my leg vise I did not have a drill bit big enough for the hole. My biggest bit was 1/16 small, I used the carving bit to open it up. Took maybe 1 min with real control and accuracy, but yes......Scary

That right there looks scary! (especially when you say you use it to "enlarge holes" (shivering) o_O

Last edited:

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Scott - I have very limited experience at this, but I have used Foredom "Typhoon" burrs to grind out a good bit of hardwood.

I have the Typhoon "flame tip" and cylinder burrs in coarse.

-Mark

woodworkingshop.com

Coleman
User
Kutzall, Foredom Typhoon, Klingspor's Woodworking Shop has them both and lots of different sizes and shapes. Lastly, Klingspor Abrasives USA have a line of carbide cutters and burrs that you may have interest in as well. Call me 800-228-0000 ext 3700 and I will be glad to go over them with you.

Coleman

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Kutzall, Foredom Typhoon, Klingspor's Woodworking Shop has them both and lots of different sizes and shapes. Lastly, Klingspor Abrasives USA have a line of carbide cutters and burrs that you may have interest in as well. Call me 800-228-0000 ext 3700 and I will be glad to go over them with you.

Coleman
Coleman - (@woodworkingshop.com) You should do a live video on the burrs, sizes and shape available...

Last edited:

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
I have found the flame shape to be the best overall. You can draw smooth lines with it, drill holes, sand, create round indentions, etc. For quick stock removal, Kudzall and Typhoon are hard to beat, but they leave the wood rough. If you want a material that will leave the wood smooth, diamond (even though I have some that are rough) or ruby works well. I think some bird carvers use ruby.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS