Potentially GREAT Tool Findsssss, but First an Opportunity to Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarvinWatkins

New User
Marvin Watkins
Updated 4/29 - I heard that she is going to have the yard sale again this weekend, but most of the big stuff is gone. This can't go on much longer...

========================================

Updated 4/22 - It is my understanding that she is going to continue her yard sale this weekend, April 24 and 25. I know she still has some wood working tools and wood. The Delta Uni-saw is still available.

==========================================

OK Everyone... The yard sale with the wood working tools is a go!

The yard sales will run Saturday, 4/17/2010, from 8 AM - 12 PM
The address is 5504 Frenchmans Creek Drive, Durham, NC 27713

<Saturday Update> I talked with my co-worker and it sounds like this yard sale will continue on tomorrow morning.

Amazing finds and gloats for anyone who gets there in time.

---------------------------------------------------------

OK Guys,

This is going to be a little unusual. I have a co-worker who has a friend who's family is going through foreclosure and such and will have to downsize. This includes getting rid of the woodworking tools.

The wife is handling the sale of the stuff they need to get rid of and has even arranged a 'yard sale' for this Saturday in RTP. Unforutnately, the wife doesn't really know or it is too painful to consider the value of the tools she has. Since the lady has a couple of kids to raise, my friend wants to help ensure that she is not taken advantage of when selling the tools (and other stuff).

I was invited over to see if there was anything that I was interested in:tool: and stopped by today. I felt like a kid in a candy store. If the tools are a part of the 'yard' sale, people will likely try to take them for a song. I suggested to my friend that she hold off on selling the tools until she has an idea of what they are worth on the resell market.

So, in an effort to help this family, can you guys look at the list of tools below and give me your thoughts on what he lowest acceptable price should be on some of these items? I know this goes contrary to finding the great tool gloath, but I know several people on this website and you are a great bunch of guys that think about your fellow man(,woman or family).

Now for the candy store list of what I was able to jot down. Sorry for not having model numbers, but this was some good stuff in great condition:
Delta 12" Planer
Delta 10" Unisaw w/Tilting Arbor
Table and Rail Extension and Shelf
Unisaw Fence
Tenoning Jig
Delta Floor Model Lathe (probably 42" wide)
Several supports
Several knives or parting tools
Calipers, etc
Craftsman 4 HP 25 Gallon Compressor
Sears/AMT Floor Standing Drill Press
Sears/AMT 6" Jointer
Sears/AMT Bandsaw
Rigid Spindle Sander
Sears/AMT Scroll Saw
Porter Cable Plate Jointer
Porter Cable Finish Nailer
Porter Cable Plunge Router
Sears/AMT Disk and Belt Sanding Station
Sears/AMT Small Strip Sanding Station
Craftsman 6" Bench Grinder
Cabinet Makers Workbench Top with End and Side Vises
Porter Cable Dovetail Jig with 4 templates
Radial Arm Saw
Many Planes, including
Severall all wood planes
Mini-dado plane
Spokeshaves
Various vises and clamps
And on and on…
I will share whatever information you guys provide with the family and if she is still going for the yard sale, I will post back contact information and address.

Thanks in advance.:gar-Bi

nelsone

New User
Ed
Hey Marvin. General rule of thumb on equipment that is in good shape is 50% of retail. Some of the things you have listed really depend on some more detail, hand planes is a broad category. Are they Stanley, LN, LV, Sauer & Steiner, or some no-name? If you can get more detail, you may get some more feedback. http://www.sauerandsteiner.com/

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
If you could post some picture that would really help determine value and raise interest in the sale.

pirate71

New User
Evans
I just did the same thing for a lady who lost her husband a year ago this month. I brought all of his tools to my house and sold them them thru CL. To get the most money out of the tools as possible will require the following -

1. Make a complete list of everything she has on a spreadsheet. Include the make, model, addtional features, age, and condition.

2. Find today's retail prices for each item. If the item is no longer available, find a similiar item as the basis for retail price.

3. Look at CL for like items and see what people are asking.

4. If you have time, set prices at the upper end of what people are asking for like used tools.

5. Be prepared to deal with no shows, low ballers, and scammers. Also, be prepared to spend time at it. Some tools will go quickly while others could take months to sell(if that much time is available).

The money you will get for the items depends on -

1. How much time yo have to unload all the stuff - not much time means lower prices.
2. Availability of like items for sale - I might be wrong but it does not seem like there are many good tools showing up on CL lately.
3. Your location - if you are near buyers(within 10-15 miles), this can make a difference in sale price and time to unload. This is especially true for smaller items(under $100).

I definitely would not sell things at a yard sale without having the spreadsheet done and prices determined. You would be far better of setting up a woodworkers only event and letting people on this site know about it.

Note - the 50% of retail is a good starting point for prices but some items will do much better depending on quality of product. As an example, I sold a Unisaw with 52" unifence in excellent condition for $1300(original retail was $1800). Then again, I struggled to get $900 for his Delta 8" DJ-20 jointer(original retail was $1800).

If I can help further, let me know.

Evans

gator

George
Corporate Member
Have you considered an auction? I have been to too many auctions where the prices went as high as or higher than current retail. People get auction fever and/or don't know what the price should be and bid thinking they are getting a good deal since it is an auction. Break out all of the tools and have a local auction company come out and look at the lot. They can give you an estimate of what the sale will bring and tell you what their commission will be. We have a good local auction company here in Oxford, there should be one somewhere close to you.

George

MarvinWatkins

New User
Marvin Watkins
OK Everyone... The yard sale with the wood working tools is a go!

The yard sales will run Saturday, 4/17/2010, from 8 AM - 12 PM
The address is 5504 Frenchmans Creek Drive, Durham, NC 27713

Amazing finds and gloats for anyone who gets there in time.

MarvinWatkins

New User
Marvin Watkins
Sounds like the yard sale will continue on into tomorrow.

I already heard that someone from the NCWoodworker.net group will have a tool gloat soon.

MarvinWatkins

New User
Marvin Watkins
I left the yard sale around 1:30 PM today and they still have some tools, including the Unisaw.

She will continue the yard sale tomorrow morning, Sunday, at 11:30 AM.

MarvinWatkins

New User
Marvin Watkins
Updated 4/22 - It is my understanding that she is going to continue her yard sale this weekend, April 24 and 25. I know she still has some wood working tools and wood. The Delta Uni-saw is still available.

MarvinWatkins

New User
Marvin Watkins
Thanks everyone who stopped by to get some tool deals and help out this family. Thanks too to those of you who offered and helped her not get taken advantage of while trying to sale some great tools.

I think she has wrapped up the yard sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors