Posting projects?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
It seems (to me) that the amount of lumber being bought and tools being purchased doesn't match up with the number of projects being posted.

Are folks building stuff and not posting their work?

Just wondering . . .

pete

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I can't speak for others, Pete, but as for myself, I've got two furniture projects going right now. I typically take pics along the way, but don't post them until complete. Probably a couple more weeks for both to be finished.

Bill

Glennbear

Glenn
My woodworking is currently on hold while I attempt to get property work done ahead of spring regrowth. :wconfused:

Rob

New User
Rob
Only thing I've been doing is shop organization, some shop cabinets built, nothing I would think "post" worthy.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I think most woodworkers acquire more lumber than they can ever use in their lifetime. But when there's a bargain, you've GOT to get it....

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I think most woodworkers acquire more lumber than they can ever use in their lifetime. But when there's a bargain, you've GOT to get it....

Are you kidding Bas ? Who would do that ? ...............Not I.:rotflm:

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
And to add to what Bas has suggested.....

It is also important that lumber be well seasoned. You can't trust anyone else to do that for you:wsmile:- you must purchase lumber well in advance and let it acclimate to your shop conditions. For example I just moved some cherry in my lumber stack. I bought it 15 years ago to make a coffee table. I think it almost ready to use!:rotflm:

Of course we no longer want or need a coffee table, I'm just not quite sure what to make of this now.

Henry W

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I was organizing and stacking a bunch of the spindle blanks last night and one of kids was helping me. He was confused about why we were carrying the boards around back (I have a covered storage area under a room addition) when the lathe was right there. "If you bought this wood to make flutes and whistles, why don't you just go ahead and make them?" :) I am making them, BTW, but it is a learning process and most are not ones I want to brag about. But I am getting there. Maybe I will post one in a few days...

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
The last project I finished was a crib for my Granddaughter, which I did post.

Right now I am trying to get some work done on the shop.

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
I get a case of spring fever every year because I do the most of my work in the fall and winter and am usuall drained of all my creative juices come warm weather. I keep a small project or two going on just to give me a reason to go to the shop open a cold beverage and escape. Right now I'm building a jewelery chest for my daughter. Pics later. Also Bas is right, I'll never live long enough to use up all the lumber I've bought.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Besides, I find buying tools and lumber is often a lot more relaxing than doing actual woodworking :) Granted, it's not terribly productive, but neither is watching TV.

Drew Roy

New User
Drew
Well Pete I will say that my phone has been ringing on a little more consistant basis and I have learned the hard way to buy what you need when you need it. Like cherry plywood. If its more than a few months old it will darken to the point that a lot of my home owners would not accept it for their kitchen or bath remodels.
I will have a cherry kitchen to post mid May and have got to go and get pics of a kitchen from a couple of months ago.

manfre

New User
Manfre
Between the 60+ hour work weeks, tending my bees and most importantly spending time with my toddler, I'm lucky that I can find time to order tools and wood online while the code is compiling and the unit tests are running.

M

McRabbet

I am beginning my eighth week away from home providing full time care for my daughter and 5 yr old grandson as she recovers from surgery to her right foot (achille's tendon had a bone spur embedded in it) -- she was five weeks in a cast and had to keep her foot elevated 24/7. I have been the kid care guy, the cook, the shopper, the chauffer (doctor is in Wake Forest, she lives in Apex), the launderer and dog walker -- my grandson has a bath each night and goes right to bed -- then I do the dishes. Haven't smelled sawdust in all of that time except a one night escape to the TWA meeting a week ago to hear John White speak (Julie had a friend come over to watch her and RJ). Julie is now walking in an orthopedic boot and in the next week or so, will be able to wear a shoe and drive her car. Then I can head back to my home in the mountains and smell that magnificent scent of sawdust again.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Rob, I'm glad to hear that your daughter is doing better. :icon_thum

Absolutely nothing going on here. We had to move due to a lack of hot water in our old apartment. We're only in this place until June, so most of our belongings are stacked in the garage with my tools. That equals no sawdust for me. :tinysmile_cry_t: On top of that, I've been out of town almost every week for three months for work. I think life has changed for me. Right now we're concentrating on other things, like buying a house. So there really isn't room for any hobbies that cost a lot and aren't absolutely necessary. Nowadays, and for a while now, my spare time is filled with exercise and spending quality time with my wife. Traveling a lot limits your time considerably and I've had to adjust my activities in my spare time based on what is truly important. :thumbs_up:thumbs_up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors