Possibly the GREATEST tip ever.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
At the Woodcraft "Make a knife" class last saturday, Joe imparted what might be the single biggest breakthru technique I've ever learned.

When "filing, sanding, scraping, smoothing etc" change directions often.

What does that mean?

Well, lets say you are sanding a board. First move from the lower left to the upper right for say, 4 passes. Now switch, from lower right to upper left. For the sake of argument, make an X pattern.

It makes filing or sanding work a billion times faster.

It has to do with your sand paper/file bottoming out. If you keep going in the same direction, you would reach a point where all your scratches are the same depth. The exact depth of the size of your grit particles.

So, the particles of grit can no longer cut, as the high points of your scratches are hitting the paper backing.

This was amazingly evident when we were shaping our bar of tool steel into a rough knife shape. I'd keep on filing and filing in one direction, making little progress.

Joe stopped by and reinforced his lesson. Suddenly, when I changed filing directions, the material was just coming off at an amazing rate. Also, it was coming off the way I "wanted" it to.

Just yesterday, I was using steel wool to clean off some burnt on food spots in my skillet. I was working and working, making little progress, then I heard Joe's voice.....

Started scrubbing in different, alternating directions, the burnt on food came off almost immediatly.

I hope this helps, it has totally blown my mind.

Thanks,
Jim

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Todd,

Thats a great example for this tip.

Its easier to see a microplane cutter as opposed to a single piece of sandpaper grit!

thanks,
Jim

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
That's an old one that I forget sometimes, Thanks!

and in return...

If you have baked on or burnt food in a pan fill it with water and let it boil for a few minutes. Now it should wipe right out. For really bad pans it may take a few cycles or longer boil times. The boiling water softens the residue and lifts it right out. I never scrub pans any more.

and if you add some baking soda to the water it is even faster.:icon_thum

fred p

Partman

Danny
Corporate Member
That's an old one that I forget sometimes, Thanks!

and in return...

If you have baked on or burnt food in a pan fill it with water and let it boil for a few minutes. Now it should wipe right out. For really bad pans it may take a few cycles or longer boil times. The boiling water softens the residue and lifts it right out. I never scrub pans any more.

Only way to clean cast iron pans.

Toddler

New User
Todd
Heating might take advantage of different expansion rates, and boiling water would soften things.

But why would baking soda help? Draino (lye) I can see ;) . . . but baking soda? I've heard that said before, but figured it was an old "wife's tale".

Todd

sediener

New User
Steve
I believe that baking soda is a mild abbrasive as well. I use it and a little bit of water to clean out my stainless steel frying pans to keep things from sticking when I make eggs.

- Steve

Toddler

New User
Todd
From Arm and Hammer's web site:

Q.How does baking soda work as a pot and pan cleaner?
A:The alkaline properties of baking soda penetrate and help loosen dried on, burnt on soils to reduce the scrubbing effort.
spacer.gif

Q.How do I use baking soda as a pot and pan cleaner?
A:To clean pots easier and faster, sprinkle baking soda in the pot or the pan and add hot water. Let the pot or pan soak for 15 minutes and wash as usual. The alkaline properties of baking soda penetrate and help loosen dried on, burnt on soils helps to reduce the scrubbing effort.

Alkalinity . . . I think this means my draino idea would work even better :)

NOT THAT I AM ADVISING ANYONE DO THAT!!!!!

Karbel

New User
K
I know someone who also uses it as a tooth whitener. Once a week she brushes with a mixture of baking soda and peroxide and I have never seen anyone's teeth whiter than hers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS