possible woodworking classes in Greenville.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
I have been asked several times lately to offer classes, and I am considering it. I would like to get an idea of how many people would be interested. Please visit my LinkedIn profile to get an idea of my experience and abilities. I look forward to hearing from everyone

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Sorry, I don't do linkdin

I saw your web site, nice work. Someday I would like to make furniture.

my shop is too small for that work, but I would take a class anyway if it was not too expensive for my budget.

Not saying your class should be inexpensive, only that with two kids in school I have very little to spend.

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
Hi Mike, I am just chumming the waters at this point to decide whether or not it is worth the energy. Not everything I build is huge and complicated, most of the pieces I show online are show ponies (best foot forward-right?). Anyway, what kinds of things would you be interested in learning? The people asking me to offer classes are all amateur woodworkers, sharing a common desire to learn some more in depth methods. They vary in skills/tooling/shops, but are interested in stepping up their game (like we all are). I am an accomplished teacher, having authored and implemented college curricula, and taught woodworking, furniture design, and sculpture for colleges internationally for almost a decade.

I completely understand budget limitations, so I am thinking about things from that perspective.

let's stay in touch, and please help me spread the word to see if there is any real interest. If I can get enough people together I will probably start the classes.

thanks

RandyJ

New User
Randy
Thanks for the offer, Stuart.
I could certainly stand to learn more about woodworking! I am pretty much a beginner with most of the tools necessary to do the job but sorely lack the skills.
You could pretty much pick any topic and I would have to say, "yep, I need help with that"!

You are about two hours away but I would be willing to make the trip.

Keep me posted if you move forward with your plans.

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
that's great, but suspect you are being modest about those chops! Help spread around the inquiry and let's see if enough people are interested. If so, I'll probably do it. thanks for responding.

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
Looks good. I would be interested, but.... I won't make that drive for a class. Apologies.

jcz

Johnny
Corporate Member
I would be interested in attending. Timing and such will have a deciding factor.

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
I could only offer classes on Saturdays. They can be half or whole day depending on interest and topic. I would like to know what people would be interested in, but have some ideas to throw out:
any level from beginner to advanced on woodturning for furniture makers, vessel turning, multi-axis, or lathe joinery etc.

single day completed projects like hand tool making, tool or furniture restoration, footstools, or small chests designed to advance joinery skill

series-type classes for more in depth projects like chests with drawers, workbenches (i.e. Shaker, Roubo...) these could be could be every Sat., every other, or once a month...

principles of jig making, intermediate or advanced table saw work, a class on shapers, mastering finishes....

The sky is the limit, I want to offer what people want to learn. This is more of a 'who's interested' than a 'it's scheduled, sign up'

keep sharing the news about it and we'll see what comes.

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
great, golfdad. Do you have anything in particular you would be interested in?

A friend stopped by the shop this morning, and wants to build a real workbench. He says he is tired of working off of a sheet of plywood with 2 x 4 legs screwed to it. This might be a good way to go, as a good workbench underscores nearly every aspect of woodworking. Lots of different joinery, large scale lamination, hand tool/power tool/machine use, door and/or drawer making, hardware accuracy, finishing, etc. It would take a few Saturdays but there is a LOT to learn and a great finished project.

I organized and taught several workbench workshops at ECU, all with great outcomes. I can get discounts on vise hardware, lumber, and finishes. Also, my shop has a kitchen so we could do breakfast and box lunch (my wife is a killer cook and makes homemade breads for stupid-good sandwiches), bathrooms, a meeting room, and ample floor space.

How does everyone respond to that idea?

RandyJ

New User
Randy
While I could certainly use a new workbench, my needs are more basic than that. I would probably be more interested in smaller projects and how-tos that teach the basics. Vessel turning, joinery, cabinets, tool setup, etc. are more in the realm of where I THINK I need to start.

Ralrick

New User
Rick
I'm always interested in learning something new. And with a daughter at ECU, she'll probably even get a nice dinner out of it. Look forward to hearing the details.

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
Glad to hear there is some interest! It is looking more and more like I may start some classes. I am taking notes on everyone's suggestions and interests, so please don't hesitate to share your ideas.

thanks all

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
Hi Roy,

that's great! please stay in touch, I will run a woodturning class very soon.

Just for kicks, here is today's piece.
20140907_192632.jpg

thanks for getting in touch

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
After reading your bio and looking at your work, I can say I'd be interested in learning from you. For me, it is hard to even narrow down to a specific niche because I have so much to learn. Keep us abreast of opportunities and good luck in your ongoing business.

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
After reading your bio and looking at your work, I can say I'd be interested in learning from you. For me, it is hard to even narrow down to a specific niche because I have so much to learn. Keep us abreast of opportunities and good luck in your ongoing business.

Will do and thank you for the compliment! I am getting a lot of interest so classes are imminent - just have to asses what the largest number of people are interested in learning. I'll keep you posted.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Stuart add me to the interested list but I could not attend until after the 1st of the year. I would be most interested in turning and basic furniture making.

RandyJ since we are almost neighbors we could car pool.

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
Stuart add me to the interested list but I could not attend until after the 1st of the year. I would be most interested in turning and basic furniture making.

RandyJ since we are almost neighbors we could car pool.

great! you are on the list, and I'll keep you posted. thanks Scott.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS