Possible to Rervese the Rotational Direction of a Single Phase Electric Motor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodsaw

New User
Qui
Is it possible to reverse the rotational direction of a single phase electric motor? I know this can be done easiely with 3 phase motor by switching a pair of wires. But how about a single phase AC motor?
Ideas are greatly appreciated:wsmile:.

Qui

Bryan S

Bryan
You can do it but I cant remember how. Depending on how the motors wound is how. Look on the motor nameplate and it should show you.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Depends on the motor. Some are CW only, some CCW only, and some will rotate either direction by swapping a few wires- it should say on the motor ID plate what the rotation is, and if it is bi-directional, should show how to wire it for each direction. You are right, it is not like a 3 phase motor.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Most single phase motors of particular frames can be reversed. Look on the nameplate & it should tell you which leads to change out. I did a couple of metal lathe motors this way with a Grainger reversing switch. The switch has contacts in it that change current flow to connected wires relative to their position - fwd - off - rev. Have an electrician look at the motor. If you're not sure you can do it, you're $$ ahead to pay him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors