Porter Cable Plunge Base Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

wghatcher

Greg
Senior User
I hit the bid button too quick on a porter cable plunge router in excellent condition. It turns out the excellent condition plunge base is missing several parts and is currently locked in place so it won't plunge. My options appear to be order individual parts and try to get it back in working condition or try to find a similar base one ebay. Looking at ebay today, it might be better to find a new base.

My question: The newer 6931 bases are called Type 2, will the Type 2 fit an older router? Hopefully it is just an updated base that will fit this router, but I want to confirm if possible.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
If you got this on eBay, you should file a complaint with eBay saying that the item wasn't described correctly. They are pretty good at sorting these things out.

wghatcher

Greg
Senior User
Ron, The seller does have a refund policy, so I could send it back, if I cover shipping. I already paid nearly $20 for shipping to me and by the time I pay to ship back, I am not sure it would better than saving the extra $20 and keeping the router.

Also, if I had looked closely at all photos, I should have noticed some issues. Despite the description, the sellers view is that there were photos to look at and he does offer a return policy, so cannot complain too much.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
To the best of my knowledge the Type 2 should work just fine for all the 1-1/2, 1-3/4 and 2-1/4HP PC router motors.

The primary change in the Type 2 base is the addition of built-in dust collection support via a vacuum line that runs through one of the two spring towers plus a clear plastic insert shield that serves to trap dust between it and the subbase so that the vacuum can collect the trapped dust (this shield can be removed if running without dust collection). The new fixed base for these router motors also adds support for dust collection if you purchase the optional D-handle (like, not a true D-handle) kit for the fixed base.

Before you buy new parts to repair the missing or damaged parts on the base you bid on, check on the price of a new base as you would hate to spend more on parts than a new base costs.

As to whether or not there is a case to be made against the seller depends entirely upon whether the item was properly documented and/or photographed in the Ad. If it was the Bidder's error then there is no case, but if it was not accurately described (ideally as "for parts or repair") then there will be no case. And always take extra care on ads described as an "as-is" sale by a seller that acknowledges no working knowledge of how the item is supposed to work and/or can not test the item...they are best thought if as "for parts or repair" until proven otherwise since unfamiliarity with an item means the seller can not make a trustworthy claim as to the items condition.

wghatcher

Greg
Senior User
Thanks for the feedback.

A quick update: The seller has offered a partial refund if I keep it - which I agreed to. Compared to the cost of shipping back, this works out to a fair deal. There are some bases on Ebay in good shape that I will look at.

wghatcher

Greg
Senior User
Jeff, I can understand your concerns with the Auctions, but for the most part my experiences have been positive, and in this case, the seller tried to make it right. Before your post, I was not aware of the 8931 base and all my searches had brought up the 6931 base. So I had already bought a new base on ebay for about $30 less. The 6931 sells on Amazon for basically the same price as the 8931. If I had seen your link first, I would have gone with that base. As it is, I will have a router, a new base, and a second base that is not perfect, but I think I can use on a jig that I need for a little over $100.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS