Porter Cable 894 PK Vac Handle Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
This is the 2 1/4 hp with a vac handle. How does this stack up vs Festool's routers.

As far as dust collection is concerned.

Please, no opinions. Experience between the two is appreciated.

No, back in the day stories, when tools were tools and men were.... oh well

Thanks

M

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
This is the 2 1/4 hp with a vac handle. How does this stack up vs Festool's routers.

As far as dust collection is concerned.

Please, no opinions. Experience between the two is appreciated.

No, back in the day stories, when tools were tools and men were.... oh well

Thanks

M

well back in the late 80's when we was buildin wagon wheels by hand and......:rotflm: I realy can't say anything about the 894 but I just HAD to say sumpin!:gar-Bi the only dust colection I use for routers is "put em in da table":icon_cheers

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
well back in the late 80's when we was buildin wagon wheels by hand and......:rotflm: I realy can't say anything about the 894 but I just HAD to say sumpin!:gar-Bi the only dust colection I use for routers is "put em in da table":icon_cheers

Fred, :rolf:

Thanks, that....was funny. Didn't mean to sound rude, but it does, get a little old.

This site was dedicated to PROMOTING Woodworking, not RETARDING it.

Answers such as:

-This tool sucks because it's written in SANSKRIT, and I couldnt figure it out. This only professes the level of your ignorance, and does not promote anything instead of your Ignorance Quotient.

- Hearing the same sorry line, don't get this new shiny POS, but this old rusty POS.

-Long Winded Rants, which may or may not have anything to do with the post.

-Low tech, low road posts about how to find a Mailbox. (See, 73% of Festool, ask me....)

So, please no more RETARDED answers to serious threads.

Let's try to learn something together, without the negativity.

This is my HAPPY Place, and would like it to continue this way

TIA

Matt

bwat

New User
Bill
You are the "Master" :tool:shopper so please let me know if you find a better deal on this router than the current Woodcraft sale following your research.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Mine has clogged when I got a large chunk or long stringer caught at the right angle turn from the base. Doesn't happen often, but when it does the fix is to remove the base and pull it out.
Oddly enough, the fixed base has never clogged!

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Mine has clogged when I got a large chunk or long stringer caught at the right angle turn from the base. Doesn't happen often, but when it does the fix is to remove the base and pull it out.
Oddly enough, the fixed base has never clogged!

Joe,

Thanks for that!

As far as the Dust collection quality, how do you rate it, with or w/o comparing it to Festool.

I want to upgrade my PC 690 for "out of the table" routing, esp when routing MDF!:icon_scra

Or, as a percentage of use vis a vis other freehand routers. Do you recommend?

Thanks
Matt

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Matt, I've got both the older PC894 pkg and the newer Milwaukee 5616-24 pkg. Although they're the same size/idea, the Milwaukee is in a different class of workmanship/value IMHO. Milwaukee dust collection is straight forward and purposely designed. And works!
Only flaw, but only if you're bull-handed, is that it's possible to slam the plunger stop rod out of adjustment.
Both Milwaukee sub-bases are flat, not so with the PC (rocks a bit).
Come over here and play with them and make up your own mind.

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Matt, I've got both the older PC894 pkg and the newer Milwaukee 5616-24 pkg. Although they're the same size/idea, the Milwaukee is in a different class of workmanship/value IMHO. Milwaukee dust collection is straight forward and purposely designed. And works!
Only flaw, but only if you're bull-handed, is that it's possible to slam the plunger stop rod out of adjustment.
Both Milwaukee sub-bases are flat, not so with the PC (rocks a bit).
Come over here and play with them and make up your own mind.

Joe,

Thanks for that, lemme research the Milwaukee routers online. I just may take you up on your generous offer! :icon_thum

This week tough, but maybe mid week next. Will PM as soon as I know.

Thanks Again!

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Joe,

Thanks for that!

As far as the Dust collection quality, how do you rate it, with or w/o comparing it to Festool.

I want to upgrade my PC 690 for "out of the table" routing, esp when routing MDF!:icon_scra

Thanks
Matt

Assuming you are happy with your PC 690, are you aware that PC makes an optional subbase for the 690/890 series bases that provides both topside and edge-routing dust collection? Lookup Porter Cable model #39690.

The 39690's topside dust collection is very similar in performance to the 894PK plus it includes an edge-routing attachment for improved dust collection during edge routing applications (which the 894PK series does not include). The 39690 simply bolts on in place of your original phenolic or acrylic subbase (and is about 2.5x as thick as the standard subbase).

I can not compare it to a Festool (I don't own one) other than to say that if dust collection is your singular greatest concern and money is no object, it is very hard to beat Festool's integrated dust collection. Otherwise, my as-yet limited use of the 39690 accessory has been quite satisfactory when connected to a shop-vac and 8-10ft of 1-1/4" hose. The 894PK's topside dust collection is essentially a dead-ringer in design (and I would expect in performance -- my 894PK is brand new [Xmas] and as yet untested) to the 39690's, but without the edge-routing collection offered by the 39690. The 39690 kit also includes a special spacer and screw kit for adapting your PC Precision Edge Guide accessory to work with the extra thickness of the 39690 subbase.

My previous 890-series router is a fixed-base router permanently installed in my router table, so integrated dust collection was never a consideration.

Whichever way you go I wish you the best of luck and happy woodworking!

cptully

New User
Chris
It looks like PC has discontinued the Porter Cable model #39690 attachment:icon_scra - several sites list it as out of stock and one actually lists it as discontinued. Rockler has an edge routing attachment that locks into the same hole used by their collar set (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=18014).

I was researching it because I have the 694, and have been very happy with it but of course would love to equip it with dust collection.

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Assuming you are happy with your PC 690, are you aware that PC makes an optional subbase for the 690/890 series bases that provides both topside and edge-routing dust collection? Lookup Porter Cable model #39690.

The 39690's topside dust collection is very similar in performance to the 894PK plus it includes an edge-routing attachment for improved dust collection during edge routing applications (which the 894PK series does not include). The 39690 simply bolts on in place of your original phenolic or acrylic subbase (and is about 2.5x as thick as the standard subbase).

I can not compare it to a Festool (I don't own one) other than to say that if dust collection is your singular greatest concern and money is no object, it is very hard to beat Festool's integrated dust collection. Otherwise, my as-yet limited use of the 39690 accessory has been quite satisfactory when connected to a shop-vac and 8-10ft of 1-1/4" hose. The 894PK's topside dust collection is essentially a dead-ringer in design (and I would expect in performance -- my 894PK is brand new [Xmas] and as yet untested) to the 39690's, but without the edge-routing collection offered by the 39690. The 39690 kit also includes a special spacer and screw kit for adapting your PC Precision Edge Guide accessory to work with the extra thickness of the 39690 subbase.

My previous 890-series router is a fixed-base router permanently installed in my router table, so integrated dust collection was never a consideration.

Whichever way you go I wish you the best of luck and happy woodworking!

It looks like PC has discontinued the Porter Cable model #39690 attachment:icon_scra - several sites list it as out of stock and one actually lists it as discontinued. Rockler has an edge routing attachment that locks into the same hole used by their collar set (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=18014).

I was researching it because I have the 694, and have been very happy with it but of course would love to equip it with dust collection.

Ditto on last remark. I have not been able to find such item as well.

Thanks

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Joe,

Thanks for that!

Thanks
Matt

Somehow I missed this post, but let me answer by saying I have not used a Festool router and probably won't unless Scott Smith says, "Hey, use one of mine!":rotflm:

Anyway, Most of my recent freehand routing has been with the small Milwaukee. I used to use my big Milwaukee (3.5hp) freehand, but it's gotten heavier than it was a mere 5 years ago, and it has NO dust collection. Stays under the RT now.

I like the handles on Milwaukees better than the ball handles found on most others, including my old Bosch (now aggravating my little brother) that started scaling on the body. The small Milwaukee (I think it's a 5616, but too lazy to go out to the shop!) has the best dust collection and balance of my small army of routers. Anyway, the on-site inspection offer still stands.

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Somehow I missed this post, but let me answer by saying I have not used a Festool router and probably won't unless Scott Smith says, "Hey, use one of mine!":rotflm:

Anyway, Most of my recent freehand routing has been with the small Milwaukee. I used to use my big Milwaukee (3.5hp) freehand, but it's gotten heavier than it was a mere 5 years ago, and it has NO dust collection. Stays under the RT now.

I like the handles on Milwaukees better than the ball handles found on most others, including my old Bosch (now aggravating my little brother) that started scaling on the body. The small Milwaukee (I think it's a 5616, but too lazy to go out to the shop!) has the best dust collection and balance of my small army of routers. Anyway, the on-site inspection offer still stands.

:widea: IDEA!
Sounds like you got the Rope around Scott, and maybe between the two of us, we can haul'em in.:gar-Bi.
Let's Organize another Tool Comparison Test and post a Video on it! You guys can organize the ground rules, weapons of choice, how many paces, etc.....:gar-Bi. And It will all be on YOUTUBE! for the NCWW world to see! We may actually learn something.

OR! anyone else, who owns a Festool Router, either the small, med or large variety

Just a thought!

Matt

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan

Apparently the PC #39690 has been discontinued (my bad -- guess it was a good thing I ordered mine last spring). Fortunately there are still a few new-in-box units available for sale on Ebay (search phrase: "39690 Porter Cable") for those who still wish to upgrade their 690 and 890 series Porter Cable routers.

So, those of who want the #39690 should probably act while there is still supply available.

HTH -- Good luck!

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Matt, we could set something up but my schedule is pretty tight with real estate obligations most of the early part of next week. Then, I always babysit my grand-daughter on Thursdays too. So, my earliest date to participate looks like 1/14/11.

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Matt, we could set something up but my schedule is pretty tight with real estate obligations most of the early part of next week. Then, I always babysit my grand-daughter on Thursdays too. So, my earliest date to participate looks like 1/14/11.

Joe, thanks for that. Wayne is on board, good news!

I was hoping to do within the next couple of days, while this thread is still active.

Steve, Wayne, PM me with possible date and times for the next 3 -4 days.

Thanks,
M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS