Porter cable 4216 box joints

RJweb

RJ
Senior User
Good evenin,
I am looking at maybe purchasing the PC 4216 dovetail jig, I have been trying to find out what are the sizes of the box joints, all I could find out is it’s miniature template, does any one have this jig that could tell me what the sizes of the 2 box joint template are, thx RJ

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
I think it uses a 1/4" router bit, i can confirm in the morning

RJweb

RJ
Senior User
Thx, yes that is what I am trying to find out, on the two templates what size box joints would they make, thx RJ

bowman

Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Here you go.
20210110_104802.jpg

RJweb

RJ
Senior User
Thx Neal that was what I needed, how do you like the PC dovetail jig, I was also looking at the Leigh super 12 inch jig, thx again RJ

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
I have the PC 4216--the one with multiple templates--and have used it to make half-blind and through dovetails. It is a solid tool. Two drawbacks that I learned to overcome:
1. It is touchy as all get out when you are setting it up. Make your adjustments 1/8 of a turn or less until you get it dialed in. Test your adjustments on scrap wood, as many times as it takes, until you get a perfect fit. The jig will do that.
2. If your working piece is not as wide as the two rubber rollers on the pinch bars, make an L shaped filler piece to go under the rollers not touching the working piece. This holds the piece tighter and prevents it from wiggling off kilter when you press the router bit into it.

bowman

Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
I wish the etchings to mark the board ends extended to the bottom on the combs, i can't seem to get an even cut ring half blind dovetails.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Rsearch Woodsmith's box joint jig that uses fingers attached to a piece of miter track. Uses a top guided router bit with bearing.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS