Portable Sawmill Help in Winston Salem

spartyon8

Peter
User
I am a teacher and we had a rather large tree that was the center of our playground fall today with the ice we had. My chainsaw is not large enough to mill and would like to give back to the school. Does anyone have a hookup on a portable saw mill close to Winston?

Attachments

• A5A32AA0-35B0-4076-8601-5E21BC3BAF32.jpeg
    A5A32AA0-35B0-4076-8601-5E21BC3BAF32.jpeg
    138.2 KB · Views: 189

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
It is hard to tell from your photo, but it doesn't look like the sort of tree where a portable bandmill is appropriate- it doesn't look like there is enough straight solid timber to band mill into useable planks. What species of wood? What is the diameter of the trunk? How many 10' lengths of clear trunk are there? Just from the photo, it looks like you just need a tree service guy with large chainsaws to come cut it up and haul it away.

spartyon8

Peter
User
I has three very large branch offs on the truck. It uprooted and the three split like a bloomin onion. I am not sure of the species but there is enough wood to keep but not for a mill to make money on. I was wanting to get as much out of it to build something for the school and church. It was a pretty special tree to the grounds. It has been there for at least 100 yrs. The church said it was there before the church was built.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
If you go to "Resources" (see brown banner at the top) you'll find "Sawmill Services." Look to see which have portable mill services near you or are willing to haul the pieces to their mill. Two things to consider- the tree is "urban" wood, so likely to have nails or other bits of metal in it and therefore, many millers will not touch it and if they do will charge extra if they run into a nail and dull or break a blade. Also, anything you cut will be green/wet and may take a year or more to air dry if stacked, stickered, and covered properly. It will take a lot less time to dry in a kiln but now you are really talking expenses.

spartyon8

Peter
User
Thanks for the link but you need to be a member. I will do a thorough check on the tree tomorrow after school.

spartyon8

Peter
User
Yes, that would be much appreciated. I really want to be able to give back to the school and church as they have given me much over the years.

spartyon8

Peter
User
Thanks! The school has to talk to insurance first. My rough calculations this morning, we should have around 3,000 bd/ft of lumber available (10" diameter or greater). The largest of the 3 trunks measures almost 50" wide.

spartyon8

Peter
User
Any ideas as to what this might be? I never really paid attention to it before as it was always just “there” and never thought to look at it before. Mt initial thoughts are green ash, maybe white ash based off my poor memory of what the leaves looked like. It is huge and looks like they were 3 separate trees that grew alongside each other. It was a clean break at the base where it uprooted.
B523A72B-0E89-46F1-A570-426B7E63AFDB.jpeg
C55E5B73-1A2C-4210-8A34-8036F0F7B4F5.jpeg
E68CA2F7-18D0-470C-B0E4-0D7EADA78A0C.jpeg

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS