Portable saw mills

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goat

New User
Goat
I've been looking at getting a portable saw mill for awhile. However I can not decide so I figured I'd ask the people with experience.

What's the lowest cost best saw mill to get for someone who only wants to use it occasionally (like once or twice a month)?

AlexSwansboro

New User
Alex
I don't have an answer to your question but if you do get one please let me know as I am looking for a source of lumber that is closer to me than Wilmington. I live near Jacksonville.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I don't have an answer to your question but if you do get one please let me know as I am looking for a source of lumber that is closer to me than Wilmington. I live near Jacksonville.
Did you check the 'where in NC can I find?' link in the articles section?

AlexSwansboro

New User
Alex
Did you check the 'where in NC can I find?' link in the articles section?
Oh yes, I have checked it. There are a few people around here and I did business with someone near Bath, NC. I forget the name but we had a great time touring the farm and seeing all the stacks of wood drying. I'd love to go back, however, I need a planer and jointer first.

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
I can't speak on that brand, but I can speak on Peterson and Woodmizer. Good friend of mine up here has both (professional mobile sawyer). He loves them both and runs them 4 to 6 days a week (about 60 to 70% on the woodmizer). From his testimony, those are solid and easy to use. I have even thought about getting one myself. Then I remembered what it cost, how much time it would take to break even, the time and effort involved in drying my own lumber, sourcing your own lumber (everyone believes their yard crooked Walnut @ 14" diameter is worth thousands) and then building a kiln and operating it. Not that I am discouraging you, but just ask any professional sawyer. The lynch pin is not the saw. It's the whole equation of making good lumber. After being up here and helping a sawyer, a lumber mill and making good friends with a fledgling lumber company I have decided to appreciate what they do and how time consuming, expensive and how much artisanship is requires to make truely good lumber. I do still ask a fair price, but I definitely know what is cost to do it. I will stick to what I like (not necessary what I good at) and that is the carpentry...the woodworking.

Goat

New User
Goat
I can't speak on that brand, but I can speak on Peterson and Woodmizer. Good friend of mine up here has both (professional mobile sawyer). He loves them both and runs them 4 to 6 days a week (about 60 to 70% on the woodmizer). From his testimony, those are solid and easy to use. I have even thought about getting one myself. Then I remembered what it cost, how much time it would take to break even, the time and effort involved in drying my own lumber, sourcing your own lumber (everyone believes their yard crooked Walnut @ 14" diameter is worth thousands) and then building a kiln and operating it. Not that I am discouraging you, but just ask any professional sawyer. The lynch pin is not the saw. It's the whole equation of making good lumber. After being up here and helping a sawyer, a lumber mill and making good friends with a fledgling lumber company I have decided to appreciate what they do and how time consuming, expensive and how much artisanship is requires to make truely good lumber. I do still ask a fair price, but I definitely know what is cost to do it. I will stick to what I like (not necessary what I good at) and that is the carpentry...the woodworking.

Yeah tell me about it! However I've been milling for about a year now, just with a chainsaw mill. Let's just say that a chainsaw mill is probably the definition of work! So I definitely know how to mill and dry lumber, etc... However pushing a Stihl through 26" sweet gum has earned me a portable mill, haha. Before I got into milling I told myself, "If I still like this in a year I'm getting a portable mill." Now I've done my research and am looking for some experienced advice :D

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Based upon your requirements, I would look into one of the Norwoods, or a Woodmizer LT15. Both are excellent small mills for the $.

YooperFinn

New User
Thomas
I would recommend checking out the Forestry Forum and look under sawmills and milling. Great community there of sawmillers and plenty able to steer you in the direction. I personally run a woodmizer lt-40.
I definitely would look at a LT-15 to start out with from WM. There are plenty of small mills out there, and you can find them used. Take your time researching what mill would meet your needs.
If you make it to Durham you are welcome to stop by and see my operation. Send me a PM if you want to stop by.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS