Portable dumbbell screw X vise

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
◦ Here is a status report on my third (and probably last) portable vise design experiment using the $6.87 Gold’s Gym dumbbell vise screw sold at Walmart.

◦ This vise is 16” tall with a 7 ¼” throat opening. The chop is guided by a unique ball-bearing St. Peter’s cross mechanism. Clamping force is generated by a 5-lobed handwheel which also provides a rapid action function. Woods used were ambrosia maple, walnut, and wenge. Jaws are padded with ⅛” “crubber” which is sheet automotive gasket material

B53CA99A-54F4-49A6-9F1C-FA6FAE205A86.jpeg

There is a video in Media showing the vise’s operation. I struggled for a long time and was not successful adding it inline. So far, I’m generally happy with this vise’s ergonomics. I find the handwheel more convenient than a tommy bar.

The cross mechanism was made from 1/8” x 1-1/2” mild steel roughed out with a cutoff wheel mounted on an angle grinder. R4A bearings have a 1/4” ID, a 3/4” OD, and a 9/32” width. Pivots are 1/4” brass rod tapped for 10-24 pan head screws.
Image 2.jpeg

Image 3.jpeg

These cross bearings ride on 1/16” Al strips at the bottom of 7/8” wide mortises in the chop and leg.
Image 4.jpeg

The nut assembly has two dumbbell screw nuts in counterbores. One nut is epoxied and the second nut is triple screwed after phasing the nut for smooth rotation with minimum looseness. I tried four lobes at first but like the feel of five lobes better.
Image 5.jpeg

The screw slides smoothly on a Schedule 40 PVC pipe (not shown) bushing in a 1-1/4” diameter hole. A 3/16” longitudinal cut in the pipe enables it to squeeze enough to fit in hole.

The chop and leg are topped with replaceable caps. Note that one has a saw nick already.
IMG_0561.jpeg

If anyone is interested in building this vise for themselves, I’ll work with “Sketchup Dave” to make plans available.7

Last edited:

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
could your mechanism be adapted to an actual leg vise?
It's a DIY version of the Benchcrafted Crisscross. Richard Maguire made one for his French Workbench build series. According to Chris Schwarz, it was known as a St. Peter's Cross, or Croix de St. Pierre. I have seen it referred to as a St. Andrew's Cross, but searching for "diy st andrew's cross" can lead to interesting results

Last edited:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Fascinating use of a dumbbell shaft. But if anyone wants to get one, they better hurry. Media outlets are reporting that fitness equipment is jumping off the shelves since the gyms are closed down. o_O

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
When I recorded the video, I grabbed some door rail scraps and the nearest hand plane. If you listen carefully, you’ll hear the characteristic sound of a plane iron that needs sharpening. A good sound to memorize.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS