Porch swing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
My wife wanted a porch swing for her birthday, but she didn't want to wait a year for my usual re-invent the world version (bent wood, natural body contours, strength to hold the whole family, 40 step finishing process, etc...)

So, I asked Reggie what he could do.

IMG_02393.JPG

We are very happy with this project and the price is comparable to the factory made junk we looked at.

Thanks for a job well done JackLeg! :icon_thum

I know he has talked about getting into other lines of furniture, I'd sure like to see what he comes up with. We have a few other things on the list that LOML has been waiting a long time for. :rotflm:

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
[My wife wanted a porch swing for her birthday, but she didn't want to wait a year for my usual re-invent the world version (bent wood, natural body contours, strength to hold the whole family, 40 step finishing process, etc...)

Well, gosh, Mike. :dontknow: If you'd just told me you wanted bent wood, contoured to your bodies, and a great finish, I could have certainly looked into it! :eusa_thin

Course the cost woulda been bout 10 times more! :rotflm::rotflm: [/B]

Glennbear

Glenn
Very nice looking, I presume that is cypress? (I am wood species ID challenged :embaresse) :wsmile:

sawduster

New User
Robert
Dat boy can build I tell ya ' :gar-La;

Nice score Mike .....Reggie ya do purdy work son :icon_thum

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Reggie didn't supply the hardware and I knew that going in. I didn't want to drill holes in the top beam for several reasons, weakens the wood, lets rain in if we ever set it out in the yard, may not drill it straight through...

So anyway, I made some u-bolt hangers out of 3/8 all thread. It was easier than drilling holes through 6 inches of wood and they work great. May not look as sleek, but I don't mind that so much.

IMG_02511.JPG

I chose the twisted link chain because I think it looks nicer and it has a working strength of 550 pounds. The traditional swing chain is only 175. I always over engineer. :dontknow:

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
I like the brackets and the twisted link chain. Much better than traditional "cow chain." I usually just run 3/8" X 4 Lag Eye Bolts into the header. Never had one come out. But your way is good.

Oh yeah, I thought your were going to turn it the OTHER way on the porch!

:wsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS