Porch Rocker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weekendworrior

New User
Bill
This is just one of many examples out there. I've searched for days and cannot find plans. Any help is appreciated.

mMtBf9wZURgBViZdLzc9-Jg.jpg

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Rocking chairs are challenging and fun to make, but they'll test your patience. First, scrap the idea of plans; many are usually inadequate and loaded with errors. Design your chair from a few basic dimensions and the generally available guidelines for a rocker. For example, the runners-overall l x w and the all important radius of curvature over that length. Joinery-M&T or spindles?

SketchUp is handy for this exercise and your basic plan is easily modified as you wish. Transfer that to a full size drawing on paper to get a better idea of how it'll really size up to your eye. Here's one similar to your picture with some basic dimensions for starters.

https://www.hinklechaircompany.com/...umberland-series-slat-jumbo-rocker-1250s.html

This Franklin style rocker was made several years ago using the same approach.

P6120123.jpg

P6120121.jpg

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I don't know about on-line plans, but there are a number of books on Shaker furniture, and they all have plans for this basic rocking chair. You might check either a book store or your local library.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
The Hinkle Chair link provided above also makes the chairs for the porches at Cracker Barrel. Maybe stop by with your camera, measuring tape, and sit a spell to see if you like the form and fit.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Myself, I'm looking for plans or at least more details for building a Stickley Style Rocker.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I like that picture and the Mission Style Rocker at the link you provided. I also like the Mission Glider at that link. My nephew really wants a glider but I hadn't found a design I liked before now. The thing that concerns me (more for the rocker than the glider) is getting the balance and curvature of the runners correct.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Mark, thanks for that link. I found a plan for a rocker and ordered it to get some basic dimensions off it.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Ken, the rockers on that chair are simple circular arcs. The radius is given for the inside. You'd just make up a bending form to that radius and Bob's yer uncle. ;)

Jeff

New User
Jeff
The thing that concerns me (more for the rocker than the glider) is getting the balance and curvature of the runners correct.

I've been scratching my head over the same issues and have done a little researching.

1. A fast rocker has a greater curvature at the pivot point on the floor.

2. A slow rocker has less curvature so maybe it's more comfortable for baby rocking or hanging out on the porch during the summer.

Both runners are 34" l and the seat bottom is 17" above the center point.

Rocker_runner:comparison1.jpg

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Ah, but where is the center point? The chair needs to be cantilevered back slightly (in my experience) for it to be comfortable. But how far back? I'm sure there are experts that have worked all this out but I can't figure out how to get it just right on the *first* try. Experience would be a great teacher here, but not for the *first* attempt.

Is it obvious that I know nothing about building chairs, but I do want to learn. Maybe a $1K class would be worthwhile but that's a lot and none are really close so you add another $1K for lodging and travel at least. I have been looking for an affordable class though.

Also right now my lathe is not long enough to do full size spindles but that can be rectified. So was looking for something with mortise and tenon joinery (which I prefer anyway.)

Sorry if I've hijacked this thread and pulled in a different direction.

llucas

luke
Senior User
Ok, so now I'm hooked on learning more about rocker mechanics....Ken, wouldn't the tilt backward just be a reflection of the difference in length of the front vs. back legs? Couldn't you get the tilt right by playing with those leg lengths on level ground before you put it on the rockers? I totally don't know, just asking, 'cause I see a rocker build in my future and don't relish frustration. Sorry for the highjacking as well, but all this discussion may also actually be helpful to the OP.

thrt15nc

New User
Tom
I'll have to see if I can find the article/research someone did on rocker radius, measurements, etc. based on the height of the person the rocker is being made for. If I remember right, they ended up building a rocker about 8 or 10 feet tall to prove their measurements. I have it, just not at work.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS