Poplar Desk for the Mrs!

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
The wife wanted a desk for our bedroom as she starts working on her Masters in Elementary Ed.

So I took some of the poplar I milled HERE. And - understanding I'm tempting fate because it's only been milled a year - started building this.
(Side note - the boys helped me "harvest" these logs too)
20200717_081518.jpg

Used a router and a sled to flatten them.
20210802_201321.jpg 20210802_203055.jpg

Got them flat enough and attempted to use my skill saw to "joint" the two together.

20210806_093340.jpg

Sanded it up to 320 grit, put some poly on it and I think it'll work to hold some books. The dutch key is some sweet gum from a neighbors tree we had milled, so the desk has a little story behind it too.
20210808_212431.jpg

Overall I'm pretty happy with it. The joint could be a bit tighter but the schedule to get it done was said it was tight enough. I'm sure it'll hold books just fine though.

Thank for checking it out!

-Phillip

Trey1984

Trey
User
Really like the color and the grain! Looks great. Think it's pretty cool that you milled it from a tree. That's one of the thing's I like so much about wood working is how it starts from a tree and howcan make it into a beautiful piece of furniture or whatever you want to make.

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Very nice work! I bet it made the boys proud to have helped in the process of making mom a desk.

Linc H

Linc
Corporate Member
Thanks for sharing Phillip it looks amazing. Can you share a pic of the sled you made? I am new to WW and making jigs seems to be a big part of this experience for me. thanks

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Thanks for the compliments! It's not perfect, but I think that's part of it's charm. (at least that's what I'm telling myself!)

Thanks for sharing Phillip it looks amazing. Can you share a pic of the sled you made? I am new to WW and making jigs seems to be a big part of this experience for me. thanks

I'll try to grab a couple of pictures tonight!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS