Pool / Deck

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jeff...

You might remember my thorn in the side project from last year, the pool deck? Well it survived the winter pretty well and I'm starting to beat down some decking.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4998

What a PITA, 5/4 boards go through the planner to a thickness of 1", out comes the router to bull nose (1/2" round over) the edges. cut / trim and beat down with gavlized screw shank nails.

It'll be nice once it's done but right now, I'm just trying to get enough decking down on a small section and put in some stairs so we can open the pool up. :oops: I still am not all the way done with the framing either, I need more cedar. I sure hope my 1/2 semi load of cedar logs comes in soon I need to get milling.

Thanks

Attachments

• P5143155.jpg
    P5143155.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 237
  • P5143156.jpg
    P5143156.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 234

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Re: Thorn in the side

Aw, c'mon Jeff, it looks like you're nearly 10 percent of the way there...you're in the home stretch now!! :lol: :lol:

(note to self: another reason NOT to buy a pool)

It's gonna look beautiful when you finally git er done. That cedar looks great.

Chuck

J

jeff...

Aw, c'mon Jeff, it looks like you're nearly 10 percent of the way there...you're in the home stretch now!! :lol: :lol:

(note to self: another reason NOT to buy a pool)

It's gonna look beautiful when you finally git er done. That cedar looks great.

Chuck

Geeze your right "10 percent of the way there..." what was I thinking :eusa_thin? At 40 x 38, this is actually a down sized version of what I orginally had planed, I should have down sized it a little more.

MikeH

New User
Mike

Geeze your right "10 percent of the way there..." what was I thinking :eusa_thin? At 40 x 38, this is actually a down sized version of what I orginally had planed, I should have down sized it a little more.

No, no, no Chuck it looks more like 11%. :rolf:

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member

THATS THE REASON I WENT WITH THE INGROUND POOL.:rotflm: picked up the phone and said " come pour my concrete! ":tongue2: I hate decks!!!!!

fred p

J

jeff...

You guys are a real encouragment, but it's not like I don't deserve it...

William Roscoe

New User
William

This sounds like a good time to expand....Baileys has that S4S planer that would make short work of all that. I'll admit I have often dreamed of it myself from time to time. Then my wife brings me back to reality:slap:

J

jeff...

William, don't know about expanding - I'm having a hard time keeping up with the orders I got, if I expand anymore I might bust. I think it might be about time to hire a helper.

J

jeff...

Was a very nice evening to pound a few nails in the pool deck. Decking goes under the lip of the pool. Every board has a different angle and around the upright caps requires a little skill saw carving action. I'm glad a carpenter buddy showed me how to carve with a skill saw :-D. I'm really starting to like the way it's turning out. It's just a free time project to keep me busy and outside on nice days like today. I'm in no hurry to get it done, now that I got cedar logs to saw again :-D

More pics: I REALLY like the camera Clowman sent me, it's so freaking easy even I can operate it.

Attachments

• P5213163.jpg
    P5213163.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 208
  • P5213164.jpg
    P5213164.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 214
  • P5213165.jpg
    P5213165.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 222

sawman

New User
Albert

Jeff,
Out of idle curiosity, are you planning to have a roof of some sort over the pool?
The cedar looks nice with the natural grey color but the boards just out of the mill look great.
Keep the pics coming and I will make sure the LOML does not see them, she may come up with another project for me if she does.

Later,
Albert

:saw:

J

jeff...

Jeff,
Out of idle curiosity, are you planning to have a roof of some sort over the pool?
The cedar looks nice with the natural grey color but the boards just out of the mill look great.
Keep the pics coming and I will make sure the LOML does not see them, she may come up with another project for me if she does.

Later,
Albert

:saw:

shh... No roof, don't say that to loud :slap:.

I suspect it will turn gray over time but for now I'm using a UV blocking sealer, then I
might go over it with some stain. I really don't know yet I'm making this up as I go along.

J

jeff...

More WIP - pool is all cleaned out and crystal clear, solar cover on we'll perhaps swim in it this weekend if the water is warm enough :-D. As you can tell I work at the speed of lightning. But hey every almost every board has an angle other than 90 degrees and it's all hand nailed. I'm getting a lot better with my skill saw, but new improved chinese nail bend like branch in wind storm... Can't even get a decent box of screw shank nails nowadays, what's up with that?

Attachments

• P5243166.jpg
    P5243166.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 209

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
More WIP - pool is all cleaned out and crystal clear, solar cover on we'll perhaps swim in it this weekend if the water is warm enough :-D. As you can tell I work at the speed of lightning. But hey every almost every board has an angle other than 90 degrees and it's all hand nailed. I'm getting a lot better with my skill saw, but new improved chinese nail bend like branch in wind storm... Can't even get a decent box of screw shank nails nowadays, what's up with that?

wanna borrow a framing nailer?

fred p

cranbrook2

New User
john
Nice work jeff
It looks like you are going to have lots of fancy cutting to do around the edge of the pool.
How did you bend and attach the wood around the outside of the pool ?:eusa_thin

J

jeff...

More WIP pics. Solar cover is off and the pool is open...

5' x 8"sq pillars with a 11"sq 2x top, now to design the rails and put up a gate and stairs. Then I can finish framing and laying down the decking. I figured after I get it framed I would finish a small section at a time.

Attachments

• P5293177.jpg
    P5293177.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 178

MikeH

New User
Mike
Nice job Jeff! Now it's time to get cranking on the rest. When are you gonna have us all up for a pool party? :dontknow:

:rotflm: :rotflm: :rotflm:

J

jeff...

More WIP pics, rail design. Real 2x4 bottom, real 2x2 pickets, real 1x5 screw board and real 2x6 top. pickets are 4' tall and spaced 6" apart on center. Still needs to be clear sealed but I like to let it sit in the sun for a day before I seal. I reckon da Bears offensive line could not not bust through this and don't be dis'ing my Bears now :lol:.

Attachments

• P5303180.jpg
    P5303180.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 190
  • P5303181.jpg
    P5303181.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 203

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Jeff, I really like those columns. The sapwood on the outer corners really adds a nice decorative touch, almost like they were done as frame and panel. That's gonna be one of the sharpest pool decks I've ever seen.
Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS