Poll: Quick Workshop Survey - Plug or Unplug

Do you keep your bench tools Plugged In or Unplugged when not in use.

• Plugged In

Votes: 25 53.2%
  • Unplugged

Votes: 22 46.8%

• Total voters

rcarmac

Board of Directors, Secretary
Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member
Just curious, do you keep your shop bench tools plugged in all the time or unplugged.

It would be a lot easier to keep everything plugged in, but for the life of me I cant seem to get comfortable with it. I always have to unplug everything.
I guess I am worried about fires and damage by lighten. I don't go in my shop every day, so that might be another factor.

What's your thoughts? Click the Poll up top.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I unplug mine. More to keep little hands from inadvertantly starting the machine than for any other reason. Not much of a danger for me now, but got into that habit when I my garage was my shop.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I polled plugged in, but I belive it is better to unplug, especially if other people will EVER be in the space...
I don't unplug, but should, my excuse is that it takes time to plug back in, when I need to use the tool...
Cool part of it all is over the past three years, many of my "new" tools have no cord, so no dilemma!

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Most of my regular use tools are plugged in (saws, drill press, stationary sanders, lathe, planer, dust collection, vacuum, etc). My shop is in a separate dedicated building. I do unplug heating tools such as heat gun, shrink wrap sealer, and hot glue gun.

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
I'll be moving soon into a shop that's 1/2 of a 2 car garage, and with young kids around, so the first thing I'm going to do is put a service disconnect with a lock for all the receptacles in the garage.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'll be moving soon into a shop that's 1/2 of a 2 car garage, and with young kids around, so the first thing I'm going to do is put a service disconnect with a lock for all the receptacles in the garage.
Richard - that is a REALLY good idea!

JohnW

New User
John
I keep every stationary tool plugged in 99% of the time. My shop is a separate space and I do have a power disconnect in the shop which is locked out if we have company with kids. All my outlets have dust covers and each prong socket has an internal cover to help keep dust out. (Sorta like each prong has a doggie door) The dust covers make unplugging everything a bit of a pain, but I like the idea of keeping dust out of the outlets. Years ago, when I had a garage shop accessible to other people, every tool was unplugged until I needed to use it.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I guess I'm about half and half, but I marked plugged in. I know I should unplug most days, but I'm little lazy sometimes.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
My shop is a separate locked building also, and like others, stationary tools except for table saw stay plugged in. Hand-held power tools are unplugged 95% of the time...

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Unplugged except for the vacuum - it stays plugged in because I also use it for cleaning the cars' interiors.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
My table saw, RAS, CMS, drill press, router table, planner and other tools are plugged in virtually all the time. My shop is a separate garage and I am the only one living in my house. I see nearly no reason to unplug/replug. The table saw, RAS, and CMS as well as the track saw and primary sander, stay plugged into a power strip on the shop vac so they turn the vac on. I could unplug one plug and turn them off but why? I guess lightening could "get them" but it is not at all likely to happen.

When my grand kids visit the shop garage stays locked up. It's far too dusty for their mom to let them go in.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Some are plugged in, some are not. If the power tools are in the middle of the floor they are typically not plugged in unless I'm using them so I don't trip over power cords. Tools along the walls are usually plugged in.

No kids, rarely any visitors out there so no problems. Grandkids only visit a couple of times a year since they are in Atlanta and as a rule there's no reason for them to go out to the shop.

Flute Maker

Mike
User
95 % unplugged ...I do have a shop vac and a air compressor and for the most part they stay plugged in..I was raised in the country and lightning was bad about running in on stuff.Then when I moved to a house in the country (after I had lived in town for a while) I moved into an older country home and lightning ran in on an answering machine....literally scorched the carpet. (I wouldnt have believed it if I hadnt seen it)...So sometimes it is hard to leave stuff plugged in!.....Wish it wasn't!

badger fan

Bruce
User
I unplug because my father had a fire some time ago in his shop with an over heat situation. So I am using the once of prevention method.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS