Policeman's Valet

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdkits1

New User
Mike
Hi Everyone
Here are a few photos of my newest project. Made from Walnut with Holly accents. The Intarsia Crusader Cross is made from Holly and Ebony surrounded with bookmatched walnut. The interior is lined with blue suede . Measures 15" x 15" x 8". The hardware is Nickel plated. The lock is full mortise .
IMG_0722.JPG IMG_0724.JPG IMG_0726.JPG IMG_0727.JPG IMG_0728.JPG
Challenging project

llucas

luke
Senior User
Mike, as always very classy and gorgeous....your craftsmanship amazes me! Thanks for sharing.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Really nice. Could you provide a little more background on what it is used for. Never heard the term before.

wdkits1

New User
Mike
Thanks everyone for the comments
To Ken-- here is the info provided to me by the client;I am a police officer in NC, and am interested in having a custom valet box made to house / organize all daily carry items. I have drawn the internal layout & attached as two files. Also, I would would like to have a cross inside a shield (as attached) inlayed large/centered on the lid, and my initials inlaid in small letters near the front/bottom right corner of the lid. All the dimensions in my sketches are minimum internal dimensions for the sections, and several of the items have tight tolerances, so the overall size would need to be slightly scaled up to allow for the thickness of the wood
Rogers box 1.pngRogers box 2.png_cross_in_shield.jpg
I had to make the top tray first in order to get to the final dimensions for the main box allowing for the added thicknesses of the 1/4" walnut partitions .
To Patlaw-All of the dividers are set in dadoes and glued in place .

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Beautiful piece of work, Mike, as always. Given the customer's design, I'd say you certainly nailed it. I can see that as a family memorial following his final days.

BeachBoy

New User
Jim
Mike, you set the bar pretty high, giving the rest of us something to shoot for. That is truly outstanding workmanship!

wdkits1

New User
Mike
To Matt--I sent sample fonts to the client to choose from. After his selection,I print out the font as an outline on self adhesive label paper. I cut out the letters on the scroll saw using a 3/0 skip tooth blade. I then trace the cut letters onto a piece of label paper and set it on the background blank in the proper position. I drill 1/16" pilot holes in the waste parts to thread the blade and again using a 3/0 blade cut the letters into the blank leaving the line. Doing it this way makes for a nice tight fit.The background wood is 1/4" walnut and the letters are 5/16" holly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS