Pocket Screw Regestration Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

gator

George
Corporate Member
I am building a triangular shape end table for a customer. The two sides are different lengths so the front corners are not exactly 45°. If I use pocket screws to attached the aprons, the two side aprons are ok because they are 90° at both ends but the front apron will have an approximate 45° angle on each end. Normally you regester the drilling jig to the end of the board (apron in this case) to get the hole to come through in the center of the end. With an angle do you regester to the center of the slope (regardless of the angle) or is there another regester point (reference point) that should be used? I will probably run a sample cut but it seems to me that if you regester to the center of the slope (drilling from the back side or short face) then the drilled hole may be too close to the end of the short face for good holding power. Am I worried about nothing?

George

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
You have legitimate concerns when using pocket screws for other than 90 deg. Definitely play around on scrap to see if it is even a feasible to use the pocket screw. You may need to adjust the length of the screw (move the stop collar). I had to be very careful when I did the 45 deg joint on the fluted part of my kitchen cabinets or the screw would come through. If in doubt, trial and error on scrap is always best before going to your good parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS