Pocket doors???

Status
Not open for further replies.

skeeter

New User
Charles
I am thinking about building pocket doors into a small entertainment center. I have no knowledge of pocket doors. Before I go to plan B, does anyone have a suggestion on how to make them?

Thanks!

cmartinson

New User
chad
is the entertainment center built already or are you planing to build it? also, are they to be true pocket doors or sliding doors like on a closet?

cmartinson

New User
chad
well, if they are sliding doors you can either glue up solid panels or you can make raised panel. then you would cut rabbets in the top and bottom with the top one deep enough for you to place the doors in the tracks.

M

McRabbet

skeeter said:
I am thinking about building pocket doors into a small entertainment center. I have no knowledge of pocket doors. Before I go to plan B, does anyone have a suggestion on how to make them?

Thanks!
I built a built-in entertainment center/display cabinet unit last fall and it had large pocket doors in it -- I bought the pocket door slides from Lee Valley Tools and they worked very well. The opening in the unit I made was big enough to house a 42" flat screen TV -- it is 47-3/4" wide by 33" high by 23-3/4" deep. You need to allow for the doors and hardware in calculating your final opening -- with the doors slid back into the cabinet, there is about 43-1/2" clear between them. The upper and lower slides are married together with a carrier strip of 3/4" hardwood and the doors were made to clear by 1/16" all around. 95 degree Blum euro hinges work perfectly (these slides are pre-drilled and tapped for them.) Obviously, well-built doors and proper installation of the slides is critical to achieve a clean finish. Here's a picture with the doors open -- there are more pics in the Projects part of my Gallery.

Good luck -- if you have any more questions, I'll be happy to try and answer them.

Rob

skeeter

New User
Charles
Thanks guys. Rob, yours really look great. I think I'll give it a try. If nothing else, I'll probally learn a lot from it. It will have to be one door because of a design in the door face, but I have already made the case deep enough to handle the door.

Wish me luck!

Dutchman

New User
Buddy
Just curious, but I do not see very many designs with only one pocket door. They usually come in pairs. I am assuming your case is probably not for a TV opening. Remember, when the door slides back into the case, it does not go all the way to the back. Go to a furniture store and check out some if you are not familiar with them. If the door does not go far enough back into the case, you might not be happy with the application.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors