Pocket door?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
What would it cost to replace a regular door with a pocket door?
The door takes up half of the stairway entrance.

attachment.php

Attachments

• E492D863-FDD9-439B-8B12-800B84FEFF9C.jpg
    E492D863-FDD9-439B-8B12-800B84FEFF9C.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 256

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
You're getting into the wall framing, most likely a load bearing wall. Have you considered a sliding barn door?

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
Hi Mike,

I recently did a pocket door on our Laundry room and it was fairly easy. Most everything you need comes in a kit and IIRC, the one I bought was about $80.00 (32 x 80 door). I re-used the existing 6 panel stain grade door slab. Probably about another $75 in framing lumber for the 70" wide header, sheetrock, compound, etc. All in all, a fairly easy DIY job. If contracting, I would say most of your cost is going to be in labor.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20180714_135715.jpg
    20180714_135715.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 251

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Would like to have it in and done- complete.
Already spent my vacation doing other work on the house.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Mike, sorry buddy but, re framing the wall, your paneling etc has to be removed, the "pocket" is the inside of the wall space. If a bearing wall then , a new header is mandatory etc.
Best solution already mentioned; maintain the dooe frame, dutchman the mortises, barn door hardware, use same door but put it inside the hallway instead of where it is now

Dreuxgrad

Ed
Senior User
Howdy Mike, I replaced a swing door between a bath and BR for a customer. As mentioned, a lot easier if not a bearing wall nor any utilities within.lol
Only had to pull drywall on one side to get to the framing, but had to refinish the remaining one.
Sorry you worked your vacation, but it is good to have a job to go back to. Rest up!
Ed

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I kinda know what’s involved. I know it’s expensive. What I don’t know is what it will cost.
I need a rough estimate in order to decide if I want to do it.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Turn-key in Raleigh I would expect to pay $1500 - $2500
Sliding barn door would be $500 - $800

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS