Plywood source

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Just received a card in the mail from Home Depot. The card introduces PureBond hardwood plywood. It goes on to say the stuff is formaldehyde-free. Standard 4 X 8 sheets in 1/4", 1/2", and 3/4" thickness. I would have ignored the advert until I got to the price; $39.95 for 3/4" red oak or birch. This price is for C-3 grade; not the best stuff... but acceptable... maybe you'll need to pick through the stack.

Anybody seen / used this stuff yet?

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I haven't, but I have gotten fearful of Borg plywood that isn't construction grade. They have started importing a lot of it, and it becomes wavy wood, is inconsistent in thickness, and quality is inconsistent. I know that Skysharks even hit metal in some of it awhile back.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Travis -

Good point... and one I forgot to mention. The card specifically said, "American made"... less of problem than some of the imports and less of a chance of chemical surprises... I hope.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
That sounds a bit better then. I will be checking it out. Even if it is C3 grade, if it is consistent and stable, I am all for it and will use it for miscellaneous stuff.

Digit

New User
Dave
I saw it today and thought it looked pretty good, I wasn't looking for it specifically though so I didn't examine it too hard. I was looking at some plywood to be a workbench top and saw some laminated 3/4 that was delaminating terribly. So I kinda quit looking (scared :icon_scra)

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
It's made by Columbia Forest Products in Old Fort NC. HD has always stocked the oak and birch in 3/4". By picking through the stack, I can usually get enough to do what I want. I'm not bashful about asking for a unit to be brought down. If I get any flack, I remind them that I have to use PERFECT money to pay for my purchases. But the stuff at Lowes is Chinese #@%*&! Some HD's are also stocking cherry in C-3, also known as shop grade.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I saw it last week at the Home Depot here in Wake Forest. It looked great, no voids, no blemishes. It looked like hardwood plywood! I also like the fact that it's formaldehyde free. No experience with it yet, I'm tempted to use it for some shop cabinets. I think it looks good enough for real furniture too.

Black Bart

New User
Dusty
I bought some of it late last week to use in carcasses of my kitchen cabinet project. So far so good. Seems consistent, stable, cuts well. No warping so far (see below).

It also seems to have a "good and bad side" which isnt a problem the way Im using it. I dont have a baltic birch supplier anywhere near me so this is my best option.

It helps to cut it to smaller sizes as quickly as possible (4x4 sheets in my case) and use it up quickly. Less storage you have to do the better.

One thing is for sure, its better than the comparible ply you can get at Lowes. Ive had some of that warp so badly that I think I will chuck the boxes and just re-do them rather than try to force my face frames to fit.:wsad:

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Just noticed that the advert card also said it's available in Cherry, Walnut, Maple, and others. ... and one of the kids has a request in for some book cases... :eusa_thin:eusa_thin:eusa_thin

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
I'll probably use this for the vanity project I have coming up. Hopefully they have it at the HD at Cary Crossroads. That would be friggin sweet! :cool:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I'll probably use this for the vanity project I have coming up. Hopefully they have it at the HD at Cary Crossroads. That would be friggin sweet! :cool:
If not, go to the HD in Apex, about 10min from there (go down Tryon/ US64). They carry a lot of plywood, and do a better job of stacking it too so it doesn't warp/ twist.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
If not, go to the HD in Apex, about 10min from there (go down Tryon/ US64). They carry a lot of plywood, and do a better job of stacking it too so it doesn't warp/ twist.

+ 1 on the Apex store.

I purchased a sheet each of Purebond 3/4"(Birch), 1/2" (Birch) and 1/4" (Oak) on Monday. Lots on hand.

(If you are wanting/looking for Purebond Maple 3/4" plywood, they have it in stock as well - a little pricey at $58.95/sheet but if I were in the market, I would buy the Purebond anyday!:wsmile:)

Wayne

pacific493

New User
Brian
Does anyone know whether you can only order the Purebond plywood through HD or can you also order other Columbia products? I am specifically interested in their Europly since it looks similar to Baltic Birch, but comes in 4 x 8 sheets.

rick7938

New User
Rick
I spoke with the manager of the Fayetteville HD about the plywood. He stated that if anyone wanted a product from their suppliers that was not carried at his store, the product could be ordered through their Contractor Service Desk. I haven't tried it yet, but it would be worth a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS