Plywood Edge Trimming...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Lyddon

New User
Joe Lyddon
In my last issue of Woodsmith, #175, they are using edg trimming several ways... which has me a little confused.

One set of plans has:
T&G edge with the Toungue on the plywood and the Groove in the Hardwood.

Glued straight to flat edges.

In another set of plans:
T&G edge with the Toungue on the Hardwood and the Groove in the Plywood

My question is "How do you like to do it & why?"

Hardwood Grooved or Tongued?

Any T & G at all?

Thank you...

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Re: Plywood Edge Timming...

Hi Joe,

I read the same article.

In the past, all I do is thin the glue a wee bit and brush it on the plywood edges and let it dry. Kinda acts like a sizing. Then I just go full strength with the glue on both the ply and HW edges and then apply. At times I just used blue tape to clamp it 'til it dries.' Haven't had an edge fail or break yet. Also. I have ripped the HW a little oversize and trim it with my router, flush to the plywood face.

(I suppose the groove method would help in the alignment and add a little more strength.)

Wayne

gator

George
Corporate Member

Any T & G at all?

Thank you...

I think the answer to this part is for longer pieces where the hardwood may have a slight bend in it. The tongue (or groove) will help to align the edging so that there is a consistant overhang the entire length of the edge. And if you are really careful (not me, but then....) you can apply the edge band perfectly and not have to trim it flush with the ply.

George

M

McRabbet

I have the 1/2" 60-degree tongue and groove edge banding bit set from MLCS. They do a great job and MLCS has added a nice video recently on their site showing the proper technique for adding edge banding -- I always put the tongue on the hardwood and grooved the plywood. I picked up a pointer or two from the video.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I have always liked using biscuits to help with the alignment on long pieces or ply that isn't so flat, other than that just a flat glue up, no T&G.
Dave:)

jmauldin

New User
Jim
I generally opt for the tongue on the hardwood edge and the groove in the plywood. It is just easier to cut the tongue on hardwood than on plywood. I really don't think strength wise it would make a lot of difference either way.
Jim in Mayberry

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I generally opt for the tongue on the hardwood edge and the groove in the plywood. It is just easier to cut the tongue on hardwood than on plywood. I really don't think strength wise it would make a lot of difference either way.
Jim in Mayberry

I do it the same way as Jim and share his perspective about it.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
I do it the same way as Jim and share his perspective about it.

At least in 2008......probably....maybe.
Only if Bernhard or Scott get one first.

I am a tool junkie and am trying to recover. I have not bought a tool since February 2, 2008.

Travis, is it just my eyesight getting worse or is your sig line getting a little smaller every day? Is it designed to disappear completely about a day before your next relapse?? :icon_scra

Chuck

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Joe, I glue on slightly oversize and the flush trim. No problems.

Never tried tongue and groove but might just give it a shot next time.

Chuck

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Hmmm...... It has shrunk a couple of times. I am up for a relapse, just don't have the money to buy anything else right now. I have a feeling when I fill out and send off my tax returns I will be having a relapse!

Still, I haven't bought a tool since Feb 2nd. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors