Plumber (WH replacement) in south Wake/Cary area ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Anyone have recommendations for a plumber/plumbing company to replace a residential water heater ?

I need to up-size the current 50 gal, or go to a tankless. SWMBO is not happy with lukewarm baths.

-Mark

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Mark, if you are giving out of hot water quickly, then most likely the lower element is bad. Normally, the lower element does all the work. Remember that hot water rises. The top element only kicks in when the level of cold reaches it. Without the lower element working, then you only have the water above the level of the upper element, less than 1/3 the capacity of the heater. Water heater installation isn't very difficult. Main thing is where is it (under house, in garage, etc.) The wiring needs for both a forty and fifty gallon are the same. Only one element at the time works. Bruce

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Which element do I replace if I have a gas heater ; - )

On a more serious note, the current (propane) heater @ 50 gallons has never been adequate to fill the 60+ gallon whirlpool tub my wife uses. She likes it hot enough to cook lobsters.

-Mark

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
Hey Mike,

No recommendations for a plumber, but I will attest to the virtues of the tankless heater. Money well spent in my opinion, and considerably more efficient, (than electric anyway). You strike me as a pretty handy guy, removing an old WH and replacing it w/ another isn't very difficult at all, (assuming you have the time, tools, desire, etc.) Otherwise, I'm sure someone will chime in w/ a plumber's contact info soon.

Take care.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I've been using Blanchard's, right in F-V, for almost 30 years. Ask for Larry to come out.
And K.B. Johnson, also in F-V, sells gas water heaters.

gator

George
Corporate Member
Mark -

I know you are talking propane but the prices should be similar. PSNC (gas company around here) quoted me $2200 for a Rinnai tankless install (2.5 GPM). Only two people in the house. They will put the unit on my gas bill in installments and I get a $600 tax credit if I do it before the end of the year. Our current electric heater is almost 7 years old and my history is one every 6-8 years so I think we will be going tankless by the end of the year.

Check your propane company and see in they off unit plus installation like the gas company does.

George

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Hey Mike,

No recommendations for a plumber, but I will attest to the virtues of the tankless heater. Money well spent in my opinion, and considerably more efficient, (than electric anyway). You strike me as a pretty handy guy, removing an old WH and replacing it w/ another isn't very difficult at all, (assuming you have the time, tools, desire, etc.) Otherwise, I'm sure someone will chime in w/ a plumber's contact info soon.

Take care.
I am not sure I want to be in the gas-fitting biz (I use $ propane) , although we'll see when I get some quotes. Ha ha.

Did you get your cherry leg problem taken care of ? I did not hear back from you. I still have a piece for you if you need it.

-Mark

gdoebs

New User
Geoff
I went tankless last July when I noticed my WH couldn't heat to a high enough temp anymore. My gas usage was cut in half except for months when I used the gas pack for heat. I have a Takagi TK-3. One thing I needed was a separate gas line run to the unit and PNG had to install a new gas meter to supply 400,000 BTUs! I'm not sure what you'd need since you have propane.

CatButler

New User
Bryan
Anyone have recommendations for a plumber/plumbing company to replace a residential water heater ?

I need to up-size the current 50 gal, or go to a tankless. SWMBO is not happy with lukewarm baths.

-Mark

Try Roman the Plumber

http://www.romantheplumber.com/

We have used him. He has done some work for us, arrived on time, quoted the work before hand and met the quote. He lives off of 55 in Cary/Apex.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors