Plexi and Wood

Ptofimpact

Pete
User
Hey all, been a crazy year, just started to do a little wood stuff. Making a display box, grooved the underside if the top frame to accept 1/8 plexiglass.
What type of glue/adhesive would hold plexi to wood, as the frame is only 1/2 thick, grooved 1/8" not much room for fasteners
Any suggestions appreciated.

cpw

Charles
Corporate Member
Generally, I try to avoid relying on glue to hold glass or plexi. Sounds like you cut a rabbet for the plexi to lay in from underneath?
My preference would be to cut an actual groove (a channel with wood left on both sides) to hold the glass mechanically.

Others will probably have better answers.

Rabbets, Dados and Grooves

Inarticulate

New User
Matt
Achieving a good bond strength to acrylic is not a difficult task. The big hurdle is avoiding cracking/crazing at the edge. If the piece was cut with a laser, a solvent based glue will nucleate cracks at the edge. Hazing can also be an issue with glues. I also have not had good luck with acrylic staying nice and clear over time. I'd opt for something flexible that will allow the plastic to be replaced down the road and also decouple the expansion and contraction of the wood from the plastic. Maybe a silicone sealant?

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
What I have done with great results in the past has been a hybrid of Matt's response

The only change I add is this:

1. Cut the rabbet, dry fit, if you are happy then go on to #2.

2. Mask off what you are not working on. Seal the wood where the plexi/glass/plastic is going with super glue. This seals wood to accept the attachment. Make sure to scrape it flat and in plane.

3. 3M has this very thin double stick tape. Get some and apply to the rabbet side.

4. Install carefully from onside keeping the plexi up so you can adjust was you go. Make sure not to go faster than you can install accurately, only get one real chance on this. Do not push hard in case you install wrong. That way, you can readjust if necessary.

5. Finally, push down hard and done. Then as a finish think about a double level rabbet so you can install a cover piece that will install in plane and flat to the underside finish surface or a decent quality metal-ized or cloth type tape to cover.

I learned this method from my artist mom eons ago, I only added the superglue seal way later.

Hey all, been a crazy year, just started to do a little wood stuff. Making a display box, grooved the underside if the top frame to accept 1/8 plexiglass.
What type of glue/adhesive would hold plexi to wood, as the frame is only 1/2 thick, grooved 1/8" not much room for fasteners
Any suggestions appreciated.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Does the plexiglass sit in a 1/8" groove (like a small dado) and not sit in a rabbit? Why do you need glue at all.?

Skymaster

New User
Jack
couple dabs of silicone. if you havent bought it yet use polycarbonate not plexi. plexi brittle,yellows

Reactions: cpw

Ptofimpact

Pete
User
I cut a Dado, as the frame is but 1/2 inch thick, have the Plexi cut to size. I appreciate all the great suggestions, havent glued yet but will consider all Thank you

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I have used glazing points to hold plexiglass in shadow boxes and they worked fine.

Ptofimpact

Pete
User
E488591C-D2A2-4DA6-8405-3D3DAEEDA2BB.jpeg
CB307954-6553-4FD6-8949-F799CDE43363.jpeg

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS