Please help me with the math, my brain hurts

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
OK, here's the deal, I want to do a decorative lattice panel on top of a fence I'm building. The fence panel overall length (width) is 71 5/8". The lattice can be cut into 21 5/8" panels and maintain a vertical strip. I want to divide the span into 3 panels. I am using 2x4 stock (1 1/2" width). So what I want to calculate is the groove depth in the faces over the 2x stock. 6" stock width, & 21 5/8 X 3 for the panels width. How much grove do I need on 6 faces to fit with in my overall dimentions. I'm spent for the night, I've spent the last two hours trying to calculate what my measurement should be. Please help, I've only got one sheet of $25 lattice, and only one more weekend day to finish it. Maybe these pics can help ya'll 'cypher this one for me. I really appreciate any assistance. Thanks, Dave:smile:
fenceandava021.jpg

fenceandava022.jpg

:question: :smile: :biggrin: :-\" :rotflm:

Last edited:

Monty

New User
Monty
Based on your stated layout (assuming I understand what you're trying to do), it ain't gonna work.

21 5/8 x 3 = 64 7/8

64 7/8 + 6 = 70 7/8

71 5/8 - 70 7/8 = 3/4

You'll be 3/4" short overall -- you want to be about 1.5" over to get 1/4" grooves. If you could add another 2 1/4", that would put you at 1.5" over ...

1.5" ÷ 6 grooves would give you 1/4" grooves.

Cut the middle section one space wider, maybe? Of course, then you'll have to start all over calculatin'... :confused:

This link might prove helpful... good luck!

Online Fraction Calculator

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Thanks Insomniac, it's good to see you around again. Your math is the same as mine as what I was coming up with. I guess I'll just have to cut the panels disregarding the location of the vertical strips. It won't look as nice, but the lower portions of the fence panels are already made and they can't change. I was hoping someone could use the "new math" and figure it differently. Thanks, Dave:smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS