Platform Bed For My Youngest Son

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeeNC

New User
Lee
Over the weekend I finally finished my latest project, a platform bed for my youngest son. His room is on the small side and I wanted to use the space under the matrices as useful storage instead of shoving junk under the box spring (like my bed).

The bed is made from BORG plywood and popular edging. Each of the three drawers is in it's own box. The boxes were then screwed together in place. The 7/8" plywood that was being sold as 3/4 " at the time made for heavy boxes, drawers and bed platform. I am happy I did not try and do all three as one piece.

Because of the 7/8" plywood the drawers were 1/8" wider than I planned. I thought I had taken into account the difference when I set up the joints but.... :slap:. I wound up cutting a 1/16" X 3" rabbit on the bottom side of each drawer. I knew about the problem before assembling the drawers, but figured it would be easier to fix via the rabbits. Next time I will just re-cut the bottom, front and back. The rabbits worked OK, but trimming the one bowed drawer (BOGR ply :BangHead:) with the hand planes and chisel was a PITA. It made me happy the both the LV LA Jack and LA Block had A2 blades. They handled the ply admirably. They deserve better wood. Maybe next time.

On a side note. my mother made the quitl & pillow covers. The larger vehicles have pictures of family members that she printed on fabric and sewed into the windows. My son loves is new “big boy” bed. Worth ever minute spent.:eusa_danc

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
M

McRabbet

Nice job and a good durable finish all around! Your son must love it; what kid wouldn't!

sapwood

New User
Roger
Sweet dreams a coming!
Your son is wrapped with the love and craft of grandmother and pop :icon_thum

Roger

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Good job, Lee. Do you realize that the storage will teach your son "everything goes on the floor" :rolf:

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Great job Lee!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap The storage idea is very useful. I've crammed almost all of my belongings under my platform bed. :eusa_danc

Trent

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Great work, Lee!!!!!!!!!!!!:wsmile::wsmile::wsmile:

I can see plenty of storage there as well as a place for many, many sweet dreams!:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

(My daughters elected to use those plastic tubs (under the bed boxes) that were forever getting stuck between the rails and the floor and them subsequently kicked into place under the bed!!:gar-La; We are still finding tubs of their "treasures" up in the old attic!!!:swoon:)

Your bed looks like it just belongs right where it is and I am sure will be thoroughly enjoyed!

Thanks for sharing!

Wayne

J

jeff...

Those platform beds are tough - you did a great job with yours :thumbs_up I made one something like it for my son - was a lot of big pieces to man handle...

Thanks

LeeNC

New User
Lee
Those platform beds are tough - you did a great job with yours :thumbs_up I made one something like it for my son - was a lot of big pieces to man handle...

Thanks

No doubt. It did not seem so big on paper. :slap: When the first drawer box was assembled, I realized it was the size of an upper kitchen cabinet. Keeping the boxes seperate made them more manageable, but still required a lot of heavy lifting as all of the drawer boxes and drawers moved around the garage. The most fun was moving everything in and out of the homemade spray booth while painting it all.
The quote of the project was this step (pick one) will not take that long…… :gar-La;

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Lee

Glennbear

Glenn
Beautiful work Lee, apparently Mom's artistic ability in needle trades was passed along to you and surfaced in wood working skills :wsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS