Plans for widebelt thickness sander

Status
Not open for further replies.

steviegwood

New User
Steven
Hi Folks, does anyone have any plans for making you own wide belt sander. I am in need of a thickness sander and I have a supply of 3' & 4' belts from a local cabinet company. The belts are used but I get then and wash them up and most are like new. I would like to be able to use these belts and make a sander if possible. Thanks. Steve

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Steve, I was looking for a part for my Performax sander recently, and I Googled "Wide belt sanders". There were a couple of hits for plans to make your own. Just FYI.

Bill

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
Fine Woodworking #85 had a set of plans by a Luthier named Grit Laskin. FWW possibly has a book on shopmade power tools.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I've seen bunches of DIY Wide Drum sanders but don't recall seeing a wide belt one. I'm sure you could get creative with a couple of used treadmills and some 2X4s.

steviegwood

New User
Steven
Thanks for the ideas so far. I have been looking for some treadmills but I guess that is why we are all overweight around here as it seems like no one has any of them. Even if I had some plans for drum sanders I could cut the belts in strips but not sure how to get the belts to stay on a drum. I would also like to find the material to put belts together with because I could cut some down for my smaller belt sanders if I could just find out what to use to connect the ends back together. I could probably get enough of these belts to supply several people a lifetime of small sanding belts. So if you know what to use to join sanding belts together you could make a deal for a supply of belts. Thanks Folks. Keep the ideas coming. Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS