planning to make a portable light box for animation drawing

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Here is a plan of sorts and a few pictures of what I am talking about:

animation_table_plan.jpgtabletop_easel.jpgtable_hardware.jpgbriefcase_animation_table.png

I could probably build from the "plan" (lacks some detail) but I am open to suggestions. I don't want to spend too much but it needs to hold up for a while and will probably get transported back and forth to a dorm room in the future.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have a broken light stand with one of those round fluorescent bulbs in it. I was planning on fixing it someday, but I haven't gotten to it in over a year (maybe 2) so it's yours if you want it. The bulb and socket are intact, the stand just broke.

- Ken.

CarvedTones

Andy
I have a broken light stand with one of those round fluorescent bulbs in it. I was planning on fixing it someday, but I haven't gotten to it in over a year (maybe 2) so it's yours if you want it. The bulb and socket are intact, the stand just broke.

- Ken.

Sold! Thanks! The specialty stuff is the real killer on price of these things. Check out what a pro company wants for the inserts (and note that the light kit is extra):

http://www.chromacolour.com/store/animation-disks.php

They also have full kits there. Not a lot of savings to be found there.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
Don't forget the regster pins. I used 1/4" internal threads studs. I also based mine on the dimentsions of a 3 hole standard notebook paper. I know this is'n standard, but I was working on a project just for me. I was also going to try to make a "multi-plane" stand. Never got there, but I did come up with a video copy stand. This was back in the 80s.

Pop

CarvedTones

Andy
Don't forget the regster pins. I used 1/4" internal threads studs. I also based mine on the dimentsions of a 3 hole standard notebook paper. I know this is'n standard, but I was working on a project just for me. I was also going to try to make a "multi-plane" stand. Never got there, but I did come up with a video copy stand. This was back in the 80s. I have a photo ad I'll hunt it up and post it.

There are plastic register pins available at a reasonable price, but the metal ones are anything but:

http://www.chromacolour.com/store/animation-pegbars.php

They have to be that specific pattern for the paper (also available there for a premium price). This is for a student learning to do this professionally, so while I am trying to save where I can, I have to adhere to the industry standards.

CarvedTones

Andy
You're right Andy. I don't know why, but the animation folks are real proud of their stuff.

Pop

It's a very small niche market, especially with so much stuff being done digitally these days.

There are a few places that are cheaper, but you have to be careful to make sure it is stuff that fits that standard. A lot of the hobby art stores sell stuff that is very similar but not the same.

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Andy,
How big a piece of white plexiglass do you need? I may have it and will gladly give it to you as my help in getting your talented daughter a new tool to use.

bobby g

CarvedTones

Andy
Andy,
How big a piece of white plexiglass do you need? I may have it and will gladly give it to you as my help in getting your talented daughter a new tool to use.

bobby g

Wow - thanks!
I am planning to go with a 16" diameter since that is what the pro tables have.

CarvedTones

Andy
Andy,
I can't find it. Sorry.

bobby g

Thanks for looking. I appreciate it that the first thing you did was think about how you might help. I have also offered up things I thought I had only to encounter that dreaded difference between mental and physical inventory. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors