Planking the boat

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Well I'm moving along in the virus period at a fast pace. I'm only on the 5th plank on each side. Mind you, there are 32 ribs that take 3 screws each to hold the plank down, then you have to put approximately 120 tacks in between the ribs to seal the scarfed lap. Its slow going.
thumbnail (2).jpg
thumbnail (5).jpg

thumbnail (1).jpg

Its a little tight in the shop these days but its doable. To build a boat like this takes a bunch of changes in shop tool locations.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Looks good Dan! (@danmart77)
Are you building it for someone or is it for you?
Its for me Hank. I rowed this boat on Lake St Regis in the mountains of northern NY when I was a kid. When this corona virus is under control here in NC, I plan to put my woodworking tools down and pick up my fishing pole. Hopefully Phil Soper will go fishin' with me as I owe him for all of the help and support he has given to me with this project.

Last edited:

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
Great job on one hell of an undertaking. My hat's off to you! I have an idea of what you are going through from my kayak build. Obviously your attention span is much greater than mine but I am thinking of giving it one more try and building a strip canoe. I am going to make an effort to come and see it; hopefully before you and Phil get it all "fished up"

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Its for me Hank. I rowed this boat in Lake St Regis in the mountains of northern NY when I was a kid. When this corona virus is under control here in NC, I plan to put my woodworking tools down and pick up my fishing pole. Hopefully Phil Soper will go fishin' with me as I owe him for all of the help and support he has given to me with this project.
Sound like a plan - my problem is I do not have the patience to "catch" my food! :D

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have a sweet little "honey hole" over on Lake Wheeler road where I fish. Reach into my tackle box, pull out a twenty dollar bill, and they just jump right out of the freezer case. Already cleaned and ready for the fire.
That Rig-cher is my kinna place!

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Great job on one hell of an undertaking. My hat's off to you! I have an idea of what you are going through from my kayak build. Obviously your attention span is much greater than mine but I am thinking of giving it one more try and building a strip canoe. I am going to make an effort to come and see it; hopefully before you and Phil get it all "fished up"
Dino
I can tell you from experience that strip building is just very simple and step by step. Measuring and bending strakes is a different story. Additionally, strippers are too heavy for my taste and I don't like epoxy and fiberglass in my throat any these days.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS