Planing Colorful Cutting Boards

Status
Not open for further replies.

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
I used the hand plane some panels I made to make some "patchwork quilt" cutting boards out of. I really enjoy making long thin curls come off of the plane. The walnut is my favorite but these panels had seven other species of wood in them. One piece of hard maple was really a pain because of some knots and weird grain. When I finished, I had another colorful pile of shavings. I couldn't pass up the opportunity to get the camera out. Here are some pics:

442303870_ftoqA-X3.jpg

442303692_itDai-X3.jpg

442304226_aYHYS-X3.jpg

442305266_AEYGk-X3.jpg

442305120_KNE7T-X3.jpg

442307322_RqhwW-X3.jpg

Thanks for looking!

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
Nice camera work as well as nice planing.

I bet Lie Nielsen would like to see these pictures

Thanks. I sent them an email with the picture and told they could use if for whatever they wanted in return for two little things:

jts_lg.jpg

and

8_lg.jpg

I expect to receive them in the mail any day now... :eusa_pray

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Wow, what a great story. Great pics! and nice goodies too!

I've never seen shaving presented so masterfully!

Thanks for sharing!

Matt

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Looks about like my shop floor. I turned several different colors of wood & acrylic for pens as gifts & I got a technicolor sawdust pile now!:gar-La;
Good looking curls there. I bet you could weave a basket outa those.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Very colorful and very neat pictures! I see two Lie Nielsen planes hiding in there. They are SWEEETTTT tools!!!!

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
Thanks, gentlemen. I just finished the last two cutting boards. That makes nine for the last little while. I just have some really, really big ones to make now for my wife (counter tops). Here are some pics of the last two. They have their first coat of oil on them so they are splotchy. But, you can see where the colorful pile of shavings came from.

442387000_QS9Do-X3.jpg

redhawknc1

New User
Wayne
Really beautiful cutting boards! And I think I might have to make that shavings pic my screensaver! I love LN Tools also, expecting a nice gloat in the morning of my own!

sapwood

New User
Roger
Michael, I don't think I've seen more colorful cutting boards . . . very seasonal and sensational :icon_thum

Roger

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Love those colors. I was cutting some walnut, purple heart and maple on the miter saw and the resulting dust pattern looked like Schwarzwalder Kirschtorte! (that's Black Forrest chocolate cherry cake). Should have taken pictures before vacuuming! Thanks for not cleaning up.

And great looking cuttingboards! Species?

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
Thanks for the comments. Bas, there is Walnut, Jatoba, Pau Armarillo, Purpleheart, Bloodwood, Hard Maple, Padauk, & Ash. They were fun to make and I got better at making multiple cuts square and making rough lumber square on three sides with the hand planes and Dewalt planer. But, I am tired of cutting boards and ready for the next challenge!

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Thanks for the comments. Bas, there is Walnut, Jatoba, Pau Armarillo, Purpleheart, Bloodwood, Hard Maple, Padauk, & Ash. They were fun to make and I got better at making multiple cuts square and making rough lumber square on three sides with the hand planes and Dewalt planer. But, I am tired of cutting boards and ready for the next challenge!
Great selection of wood. I'm progressing from two species (maple + purpleheart) to three species (maple + purpleheart + walnut). I really like the look of the bloodwood, I may have to try that soon. But I understand about getting tired of it. Once you've made a few, there isn't much of a challenge in it. But, sometimes productivity and making good gifts count too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS