Planes I Made

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
These are a few of the planes I have made over the years including twelve pairs of hollows and rounds (quarter sawn beech and 01 tool steel irons), a Shepherd smoother kit (metal peening), a maple and walnut razee smoother with an antiques taperes iron, and threee small beech smoothers with a 45, 50 and 55 degree beds. Thanks for looking, David

Attachments

• DSCN0630.JPG
    DSCN0630.JPG
    664.8 KB · Views: 215
  • DSCN0633.JPG
    DSCN0633.JPG
    674.8 KB · Views: 227
  • DSCN0634.JPG
    DSCN0634.JPG
    667.8 KB · Views: 244

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
David, your work is masterful. While I love all of it, I am particularly drawn to the hollows and rounds; they look beautiful and I am sure they perform as well as they look!

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
There are any number of material suppliers that sell quarter sawn beech for side escapement plane making, just google quarter sawn beech. Mine came from a saw mill and drying co. in Western Michigan (when I lived in Detroit) Here is one supplier that sells plane blanks/billets "Red Rose Reproductions".

Robert LaPlaca

Robert
Senior User
David, nice work on the planes and H&R’s. There is something truly hypnotic about using h&r’s to make moldings.

Horizon Wood Products in PA also sells 12/4 European beech quarter sawn blanks.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Quarter sawn?

It is European Beech and it isn't advertised as being quarter sawn. I have 7 boards from that supplier (4/4). One is quarter sawn and one is rift sawn. The others are mostly flat sawn. 8/4 is the thickest that they offer. No 12/4 or 16/4.

build4fun

New User
Brian
Very nice planes. I would be interested in making a set of hollows and rounds. Any advice on where to look for plans / instructions ? I noticed that Lie-Nielsen sells the irons, but might be cheaper elsewhere ?

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
Todd Herrli of Mississinewa Planes in Marion, Indiana gives lessons on building side escapement planes. He also has a DVD for making planes and I believe sells irons. You can google him.
Hope this helps, David

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
You will find a wide philosophical difference when you start to build side escapement planes. And there are numerous opinions as to how they should be built. For example one the major differences is that Larry Williams (was Clark and Williams plane makers) advocates tapered irons are essential to allow the wedge to tighten and hold the iron in place. Todd Herrli (Mississinena Plane) and John M. Whelan both agree that a flat straight 1/8" thick iron works just fine.
I made a presentation to the Society of American Furniture Makers some years ago and have a whole 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper on the differences. I only mention this as if you plan to construct some planes be prepared for a lot of different opinions and frustrations with the details.
David

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS