Planer upgrade inquiry

Jfhbuilder

New User
Jay
Looking to add an another planer (preferrably used) to the shop dedicated to ‘hogging down’ material more quickly than my current planer can.
I’m thinking a 13” or 15” used model……maybe the likes of a Delta DC-33? Additional width is probably not a need, as I typically don’t handle rough sawn stock wider than 12-13”.

So, here’s the question……what machines (that you own and/or use) can take down a full 1/8” COMFORTABLY at 13-15” wide on hardwood? Obviously, a new 7.5 hp unit can do that, but what older (not ancient) units can do this?

Thanks,
Jay Holden
Williamsburg, VA
-Staircase builder by trade
-Homebuilder by career

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
I have a Powermatic 15 in. with silex cutters. Has 3 hp. motor. It's handled everything I've thrown at it. Nice heavy duty machine.

Pop

Rjgooden

Big Ron
User
I have a grizzly 0453 15 inch. I ordered a shellex head right after I bought it in January thinking I might need it since it is only three hp. But I haven’t found anything it won’t do and I think I will cancel my eight month back order. Good luck

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Don't overlook duty cycle. A good reason to go for the 5 HP over a 3. Never going back to strait knives. FWIW, Carbide heads take MORE power than knives.

Older Delta may be great, but there is ZERO support for them NO parts at all that are not generic. So bearings, knives etc OK. Feed roller? You may be screwed. Older Oliver machines are supported by Eagle. Most newer ones are all Geetech so with some effort, can find parts.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
Curious what your goal is with taking 1/8" at a time. I'm guessing you are wanting to reduce the thickness of the stock quickly. Have you thought about getting a good bandsaw to resaw the stock down to approximate thickness and then plane? Depending on what you want to do a single resaw pass followed by one light trip through the planer is often just as fast, produces less shavings and you now have an extra board (although it may be in the veneer category ;-)).

Jfhbuilder

New User
Jay
Basically, I deal with rough sawn 4/4 thru 8/4 for all sorts of mill work. Lately, 4/4 may not be immediately available for delivery to my shop, and they’ll offer 6/4 at the same price (or 8/4 in lieu of 6/4). That’s fine, but it creates the need to hog down material…..which I’d like to do a bit quicker.
Concerning resawing…..I’ve got a 2hp 18” bandsaw that I hardly ever use. However, I only has about a 10” height capacity….which is not wide/tall enough for most all of my work.
Good point though…..thanks

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS