planer stand ....build or buy ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have used these kits to make stands for my benchtop planer, jointer and Lathe. with the casters they make nice movable stands for the equipment. You can add drawers or cabinets underneath.

Get a set of legs
http://www.rockler.com/adjustable-multi-function-shop-stand-shop-stand-legs

and the rails the size you want the finished product to be.
http://www.rockler.com/adjustable-multi-function-shop-stand-stretchers

my planer stand is 18x24
jointer stand 12x24
midi lathe 12x36

quick pics - note the planer and jointer have been replaced by full size models so now they're just movable storage.

Planer Cart
DSC_0518_800x532_.jpg

Jointer Cart

DSC_0517_800x532_.jpg

Lathe Cart
DSC_0519_800x532_.jpg

Excuse the poor pictures - the shop needs cleaned - again.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Excuse the poor pictures - the shop needs cleaned - again.

Ken,
they are GREAT pictures and I can help you clean - in fact, I think you need more space - so I will bring my trailer to make sure you are able to [strike]"get rid"[strike] donate everything you want to! :rotflm:

thsb

New User
Tim
i bought the DeWalt stand for the 735 planer and after i put it together i wished i had built my own. it was a fine stand but i didn't think it was necessarily worth the money and i would have done a couple of things differently.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Hey there Sawduster! :D Nothing important to add as far as the planer stand goes, but it is good to see you around! :gar-La; Hope you've been doing well.:icon_thum

sawduster

New User
Robert
Hey there Sawduster! :D Nothing important to add as far as the planer stand goes, but it is good to see you around! :gar-La; Hope you've been doing well.:icon_thum

Thank you sir .....it is good to be missed :eusa_danc Doing well, just busy as a one-armed welder :D

Bob Carreiro

New User
Bob
Just ran to take a pic and my battery is too low. My DW735 rests on a 38" tall stand made completely of 2x6's (2-8 footers) sitting on 4" casters. It sits taller than all other equipment (with the exception of my BS table at 47"). I like not having to bend over to read the height numbers.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
I bought a Delta Miter Saw / Planer stand. Here are some pictures. https://www.google.com/search?q=del...2-70-36-136_4294882871%2B4294798584__;276;276

DeWalt and Porter Cable are now offering a similar design and pictures of their stands are also on that page. I needed a square piece of 3/4 plywood to adapt the mounting of the DeWalt planer to the mounting rails of the stand, but otherwise putting them together was quite easy. The pair now stand up like a hand truck in the corner of my shop taking up only about 3 square feet of floor space until I need it, and then I just wheel it outside like a hand truck. When it's where I want to use it I set the handle on the ground, grab the lifting handle and with one thumb push a latch releast, then lift it up into position where it latches in position. Roller extensions are in each end and extend out and up easily to support the work, but I also have the in and out feed tables on my 735 planer and the stand and these tables do not interfere with each other. I bought the chip collection hose and barrel top bag to minimize the amount of chips that get free because I don't want them getting into the neighbors pool. This method of chip collection works quite well If you just use the spreader that comes with the 735 you will have chips everywhere. They come out of the planer really fast and go far.

When I have finished planing, it's easy to push the roller supports back in, fold the support tables, wind up the power cord, and then grasp the lift handle, lift slightly and release the latch with my thumb, then lower the table to the ground where the whole thing becomes a hand truck again. Gas cylinders reduce the lifting and lowering effort. So doing this is much easier than trying to move the 735 planer without it. I then just pick up the hand truck handle and wheel the whole thing back into it's place on end in the shop. I have a 5' long ramp with a 1' rise, plus a 2" step to traverse going into and out of my shop and this stand goes over it without any significant effort or problems The two traveling wheels are about 5" diameter.
.and do well. In my opinion, if you will be doing your planing outside, this is the perfect way to move this heavy planer in and out of the shop and store it in a minimum amount of space when it's not in use.

Charley

Bob Carreiro

New User
Bob
Here's a pic illustrating my earlier post.
001.JPG

It's nothing special but performs well.
002.JPG

And the twenty-dollar caster set from Rockler's discontinued stuff are the best set I have in the shop, and most stuff in on shop-made stands with castors! Go figure!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS