Planer in/outfeed tables: rollers vs. cast iron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben325e

New User
Ben
On my new to me planer, a 15" Jet JWP 15CS, the in and outfeed tables have a steel frame with rollers. In my reading on various forums I"ve seen where people have considered the cast iron infeed and outfeed tables to be a substatial upgrade. Other than the vibration reducing and visual qualities of the cast iron, is there any performance difference as when compared to the roller tables such as I have?

In case of confusion, I"m talking about the tables themselves, not the infeed and outfeed rollers located in the upper portion of the planer with the cutterhead. Also, the Jet planer has an adjustable height table as compared to the Delta style of planer with the fixed table and adjustable cutterhead/motor upper assembly.

Thanks,

Ben

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I imagine the solid tables would be easier to align. I've only tried the rollers, though.

IMO the length of the tables/rollers is more important than the type. My in/out-feed tables are 4' long and I never think they're too long. I use a number of sleds with my planer for jointing and working with small/thin stock - the longer tables help a lot with the sleds.

jemcguire

New User
John
I've seen some jigs for eliminating snipe that lend themselves more to a solid table, but other than that I agree the length would be more important to me.

(p.s. Go Boilers!)

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I would vote for solid tables, but for a different reason. Years ago I had rollers for the infeed/outfeed tables. While "catching" a piece coming out of the planer, I stupidly put my hand down between the rollers waiting for the board. The board mashed my hand against one of the rollers. Fortunately, not a major accident, but I soon replaced the rollers w/ a solid table. :eusa_doh:

HTH

Bill

Ben325e

New User
Ben
My planer looks like this:

r4YgcS0HHeSFaniTTirNhn3BmpHqnMvAAc-end4M3rCB9F7au0xwOh-xBDZPPpuKb5JntkS01AC1v6C3mPauWEew1kGhymK4QmM7nAdo9AQkv_DMPWj-f2DPHY4S7evWD5ulAoAQt2eyBhql4xQy-9tQl4DEOHIf

I was thinking about removing the rollers and replacing them with a sheet of laminate covered birch ply or MDF to make them a solid surface, then use the rollers for adjustable roller stands for planing longer items or with my bandsaw when resawing. Win/win situation it seems, but we'll see.

Good point on getting your hand pinched between the roller and board - thanks!

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
My 1st. planer a Powermatic 15 inch straight blades had rollers. I could never get them to align at the proper height. It seemed that the rollers were slightly different heights roller to roller. My new plane a Powermatic with Byrd Shelix cutter head has solid cast iron in & out feed tables. They aligned very well and I think are a great improvement over the rollers. I also pinched my fingers with the rollers. The solid table doesn't do that.

Bill "Pop" Golden

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
My planer looks like this:

r4YgcS0HHeSFaniTTirNhn3BmpHqnMvAAc-end4M3rCB9F7au0xwOh-xBDZPPpuKb5JntkS01AC1v6C3mPauWEew1kGhymK4QmM7nAdo9AQkv_DMPWj-f2DPHY4S7evWD5ulAoAQt2eyBhql4xQy-9tQl4DEOHIf

I avoided a planer of that design for this exact reason. However, while it adds a small measure of difficulty, I still think it is quite possible to build in/out-feed tables that will work. You have at least 2 holes already tapped in each side of the moveable planer bed, so it is possible to attach a table to that. It could have a lower support that rides on the planer base so that the entire assembly moves up and down with the bed.

I'm sure we'll all want to see what you come up with :>

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
My Delta 380 has laminate covered in feed / out feed tables. A friend had a Jet with rollers, which he replaced with laminate covered plywood. He no longer caught his hands between stock and rollers.

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
I added wooden fillers between the rollers on the outfeed side to avoid the problem of injuring my fingers.

bobby g

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS