Planer Decision

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grumpybear

Gary
User
It has been said that a 20" thickness planer is the last planer a hobbyist will buy. I've been told that one can be purchased used for around 800 to 900 USD. If that's true, how would you advise me on a new Dewalt 735 vs a used 20" thickness planer (which appear to all be exactly the same regardless of brand)?

Grumpybear

Gary
User
Planing to plane panels that have been glued up and I've had to be careful with long boards with the Dewalt 733...snipe!

T

toolferone

I have a 20" and the DeWalt DW733 and I use both.I had teh DeWalt for a long time and a great deal came up on the 20", so I now have both. Bigger, longer, more and I use the 20". Smaller, less, shorter and I use the DeWalt. If I had to have one to own forerver I would get the 20". It can do smaller, but the DeWalt can't do bigger. Must have good dust collection with the 20".

T

toolferone

Here is my set up. The board locks over the 20" rollers and does not move, but I could lift it right off if needed. No extra space needed by going up.

grizzly%20planer%20010a.jpg

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
When buying a used Chaiwan formula 20" planer, assume several things:
1. new (or newly sharpened) knives will have to be installed.
2. the bearings in the cutterhead will need replacing
3. some of the belts will likely need replacing.
4. the switch will need replacing.
5. The 400+ lb. machine will have to be moved.
Going into the transaction with these assumptions, you'll have a high probability of a pleasant surprise. Once the machine leaves the importer's loading dock, no two planers will have exactly the same history. What condition a used planer will be in when you get it is anyone's guess. By assuming a level of responsibility, you can make a very serviceable planer out of a used one and avoid paying an importer's retail sales price.

A Dewally plastic and aluminum suitcase screamer is more of a portable power tool substitute for a planer than a real planer.

I encourage you to grab on to that 20" machine you've found for that price. Most parts are interchangeable between the Asian imported planers.

westisthebest

New User
Chad
I have a 20" now. i used to have the dewalt smaller one. It got worn out so I decided to get a little bit bigger. I really do enjoy being able to plane a much bigger board. Changing knives isn't as easy and they are more expensive. Also material coming out of dewalt took a lot less sanding to get it ready to finish. I have to spend a little more time sanding to get material ready for a finish out of the 20". You do also need a lot better dust collector. I had a 1.5 hp, it isn't worthless, but it would constantly get clogged. I hooked up a 3hp and haven't had an issue since.

Grumpybear

Gary
User
I'd been warned that you must have a sufficiently sized dust collector, and I guess I'll add the "garbage can" separator as well. Thanks for all the input...this site has great value.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Grumpy,

I would definitely keep the DW735 alongside any larger planer, I have a PM 15" which I love but am thinking about getting a DW735 just for figured woods. Without a shelix head a 20" planer won't be very good for figured woods. DAMHIKT :BangHead:.

Good luck,

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
Here is my set up. The board locks over the 20" rollers and does not move, but I could lift it right off if needed. No extra space needed by going up.

grizzly%20planer%20010a.jpg

whoever is keeping the file on WGD syptoms and ideas for diagnosis needs to add this pic to their file.:rotflm:

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I suppose everyone knows that the Steel City lunchbox comes with a shelix(?), helix(?) or something similar? I have the 735, but would have given the SC a hard look had it been available 5 years ago.

Grumpybear

Gary
User
I'll have to check into the Steel City, but the other items I've compared cost a fair amount more in the Steel City brand than the old regulars.

Interesting that Toolferone and Ashely_phil have exactly the same setup! Those G0454's must be the ticket!

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
I have the Byrd Shelix cutterheads on my 15" Grizzly planer and 8" Delta jointer. After having used the Byrd cutter heads for a couple of years, I would sell the lunchbox and put the money toward the Byrd cutterhead upgrades. You won't regret it.

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
Interesting that Toolferone and Ashely_phil have exactly the same setup! Those G0454's must be the ticket!

no i have a 735 and no complaints on it. but i'm not planing glued up panels for doors. if you're doing that you need a 20" or a widebelt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS