Plane Sander

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
http://ncwoodworker.net/gallery/files/1/8/planesander002.JPG

Saw this pictured in a wwk'ng mag and decided it might be useful. Made the tote and knob from Mahogany. The base , wedge, holder all cherry.

I stained the top of the base using "Rose Lake" pigmentented stain followed by two coats of sealer and two coats of pre cat lacquer. Tote and knob are natural with the same finish. Check out the other pics in the gallery.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
That's awesome!:eusa_clap Please give some details on it's construction:eusa_pray I see how the front wedge works, but the picture of the back wasn't clear enough to tell if there was a removable screw. How did you shape the tote and knob, they look perfect. I have a decent plane with some cheap plastic handles that I would love to change out. Great job, looks good and I'm sure works just as well.

Dave:)

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Nothing I like better than making my own tools. That it a fine looking plane sander. One of these days I will get myself a plane and I will make one of those babies to sand the wings....8-O :p :lol:

A really cool tool and fine job of execution!:eusa_clap :icon_thum

Monty

New User
Monty
That's great! I always like to see better ways to use sandpaper without rounding over the edges - that should do the trick! Do you have a specific application that you expect to use this for?

I've noticed all the different sanding blocks that David Marks uses... I've been wanting to figure out how do make some of those, but I've never been sure how to secure the paper - you've given me a great idea!

Here's an example of one of his sanding blocks that i would like to figure out:

wwk502_4fb_e.jpg

This is from the "Frame-and-Panel Door" episode.

Anyway, great job on your sander!

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Thanks guys,

The holder on the back of the plane is held down with a flat head machine screw which threads into a brass screw insert. There is a 1/4" dowel glued into a recess in the hold down piece and there is another recess on the bottom where the dowel presses the paper into thus holding it. Anyway, I like making things like this and believe it or not, it works great. Insom, as for the DM sander, it appears that some kind of wedge ; front and back hold the paper in place. I bet you could figure it out, just play around and it will come.

Mike

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Sorry Dave I didn't answer your ?'s. I used a pattern for the tote, bandsawed it out, shaped with a rasp and a dremel tool with a typhoon bit and sanded it by hand. The knob, I just turned the lathe on and that is what came out. It looked about right but If I were to do over, I would reduce the diameter a bit. It does fit the hand pretty good though.

Monty

New User
Monty
Yes - wedges. It actually seems pretty simple now that I've seen how you did yours. By the way, I should have mentioned this in my first post: the tote/knob you made are fantastic. You could go into business making replacement totes/knobs if you wanted to! I've gotta ask: since it's not drilled through, how are they attached? Dowels?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
More questions from the village idiot (me),what is a typhoon bit for your Dremel? I ask because I have some pipe briar and want to try my hand at making a tobacco pipe. I plan on doing a lot of the shaping with my Dremel. Dave:)

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Dave - a typhoon bit is made by Foredom - Most wwking stores carry. I know that Woodcraft does as well as The Woodworking Store.

Insom - I attached the tote and knob with a screw from the bottom.

Clouddancer - I found the pattern in a ww'king mag. If I can scan it, I will post it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors