Plane plain facts?

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
OK, routers. My use is not to cut the dado, but to clean up a dado, finish a stop dado, hinge mortice etc. So, light duty use. I think the small size simple ones would do for dados, but I wonder if the large base is better for cleaning out hinge mortices.

My first inclination is just a small bent neck chisel, but of course, no depth stop.
L-N and Veritas "small" are out of stock. Large are overkill I believe.
The Cowryman is an interesting tool. For one thing, the blade is like a chisel in you can pull it out and sharpen conventionally, but it is not a "foot" . Basically a chisel in a holder.
Like a lot of tools, most are out of stock.
The large veritas router plane is great in some instances. The blade depth locks. The small one does not have the lock and it tends to move during use. Great purchase on large one Regret purchase on small one!

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
No worries...

I'm a fan of the type 17 (WWII vintage) tools and the thicker/heavier castings.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
No hole in my #7.
Really, I am keeping the big ones if I ever do a table top or something. Most stuff will be by power so probably won't upgrade them. If the #4 is really that great, I might go for a new block, but it is hard to see how it could work better than my Sears/Hock. The WR will be a test. The
shoulder is the one I know I need most. Then maybe a router as those are the ones where I reach for a chisel thinking I should have a plane.

Never used a spoke shave. Any odd curve I use my Simmons drawknife. The #51 has got to be the most difficult thing to adjust, so it it proves handy, a 151 style might be worthwhile. Not even sure I remember where it came from. Must have been my grandfathers. Real shame my father had no interest in his fathers tools. He was a carpenter in the days when they built your house, all the cabinets, and half the furniture. Only a saw and a few chisels. I am sure he had piles of planes. He was pretty ill when I was old enough to remember him at all, and being an A.F. brat, we moved constantly so I only saw him for a week once a year.

Another half done tool is I picked up a #82 scraper. Seriously abused and have not finished it. Looks the cat's meow for scraping glue or for smoothing a radius. Blade is trash, but I can cut down one of the better hand scraper blades for it. Seems one could grind profiles for it to scrape molding.

I'll get through analyzing all my tools in the dead time I am waiting on ClearVIew. 8 weeks now. When I get this batch of upgrades done, I will then come looking for advice on a chuck for the lathe. Of course, both first little projects I did would have been much easier with a chuck. I am sure a decent chuck will cost more than I paid for the lathe. Too small for the faceplate and I really needed to bore the end.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
The large veritas router plane is great in some instances. The blade depth locks. The small one does not have the lock and it tends to move during use. Great purchase on large one Regret purchase on small one!

Moves. Now that would be very bad. The thing I don't like on the big one is one review mentioned the depth stop clamped against the adjuster threads. That seems very odd and I am surprised Veritas did that unless there is something I am missing

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
Moves. Now that would be very bad. The thing I don't like on the big one is one review mentioned the depth stop clamped against the adjuster threads. That seems very odd and I am surprised Veritas did that unless there is something I am missing
I have an old Stanley as well and like the Veritas mechanism better. They are very similar

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
OK, WR #4 came today. Looks good. I can now evaluate Bailey vs Bridgeport and O1 vs A2. I almost hope I am disappointed as I would hate to turn around and have to buy a #6 and #7 as well as a better block. :)

The Taylor shoulder plane is back in stock. $75. Going for it. Sure, not a slick as Veritas, but looks solid enough. If I use it so much it drives me crazy, then I can justify the Veritas price! Router plane next. I like that funky Chinese one made on a plate, not a casting, but out of stock. Again, the amount of use tells me if I will want to upgrade in the future. I hate bad tools, and can deal with good tools ( I am cheap after all) but I do like very nice tools. I got what was left of my spokeshave nice and sharp, so If I start to use it, I can then think about one easier to adjust.

Lux head came tor the planer. Magnehelic for the dust collector. Clear View says they have it and am getting ready to ship ( 9 weeks) I could be making dust again soon!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS